Time For A New Filter?

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

My filter has been loud and clanky tonight and so I took it out to clean it. I took all the media out and just got rid of the debris in my HOB. I was puzzled at a tan, sandy thing in the filter. I washed it out, put the media in, and plugged it back in. Still loud. I lift the intake and see a reservoir of that sand. It looks like it might be going down into the motor or up from it. This tank has gravel, no sand. I'm puzzled, and this loud filter is starting to annoy me. It's working fine despite how loud it is. But it is quite annoying and Im worried it might quit on me. I might just go out and buy a new one. I'm still puzzled on the sand stuff, though, and think it might be a clue as to why the filter is clattering.

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

What brand is it? If its an aquaclear or similar style you can remove the whole motor easily and clean it out. Which you should do anyways to clean the motor rotor/magnet from time to time :)

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

It's a tetra whisper hob filter. I had no idea you could do that! If I can, that might save me some money.
    Would it be okay to unplug it for the night? It's really bothering me (the tank is in my room). I'm wary of unplugging because I don't want my betta going without filtration.

4. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

For the night? No. Not unless you want your cycle to completely die off. You can do it for a few minutes while you clean all the pieces of the filter and put it back together though.

5. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I can't do that now. It's 1:42, my parents are in bed, and I don't want to wake them up.
    What if I float my media in a container of tank water?

6. Kellye8498

If air isn't moving through the filter media the bacteria will die.

It shouldn't make noise though. I have taken my filter completely apart and cleaned the entire thing with my babies asleep on the couch beside me and no one was any the wiser.

7. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Hm, well, I'll keep it running for the night and clean it in the morning. Gonna be a sleepless night

My only issue is turning on lights and faucets. My parents room is right near where I clean it.

8. Kellye8498

I would just grab a towel and a bowl to put some tank water in and that should be all you need to clean it. Possibly a qtip to clean the impeller but you shouldn't need more than that.

9. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Okay, thanks. I'll try it. Itd be nice not to buy a new filter.
    Any guesses what the sand is or where it came from?

10. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Is it in your bedroom, is that why this is an urgent matter at 2AM?

You can always stuff a tower/thick rubber matt between the glass and the HOB. That will reduce the noise and get you through the night so you can clean it in the morning.
    Bacteria will start to die off after a bit under an hour, so don't unplug - unless you have an airstone that you can stick directly under the media. That would work.

11. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Yes, its in my bedroom.
    Thank you!

12. Kellye8498

I would guess it's more poop sediment from the filter instead of sand. It's also possible it's broken up carbon from the filter if the carbon is saturated and breaking down. It could really be a lot of equally kind of gross things lol.

13. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Okay, thank you. Hopefully cleaning it fixes the issue.

14. Kellye8498

It should. Just take out a bowl of the water to work with and swish the filter in it before throwing it back into the tank while you clean the rest of the filter. That will clean out the gunk in the media. This is why I am switching to all sponge filters. Easier and no real chance of failure since I always have a spare air pump if one dies. I love them and they are much more easy and faster to clean and get back into the tank. Also almost no noise as well and the sponges can last 20 years or more if taken care of gently. Love them!

15. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Cleaning made the noise worse. :l I have no idea what's going on... I might buy a sponge filter, i don't want to deal with this again. If i put the media in a different filter for the night (on in a separate tank) will it keep the media cycled?

16. Kellye8498

If the separate tank is cycled as well and has fish to make ammonia to feed the bacteria

but the fish in the tank without the filter will then still be without a filter unless you are moving them too

17. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Yeah, no, not moving my betta to my other tank.
    There are fish in that tank to keep it cycled.
    My betta shouldn't be without a filter for long, I'm going to see if I can go out and buy one tomorrow. I can do a water change tomorrow and then daily if I can't get a filter tomorrow.

18. Kellye8498

Ok, good luck to you and the fishies and have a good night!