Time For A Bigger Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by wolfgangfunk, Aug 17, 2019.

1. wolfgangfunk

wolfgangfunkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    5 years
    I have a 55 gallon tank set up with mostly live breeders and two rather large common plecos that are pretty large. My question is when should I move the plecos into a larger tank?
    At the moment there's no problems with their size, being around 8 inches from snout to tail, in the tank they're in since all the other fish are tiny and they're aren't many. They have a ton of floor space and are the largest in the tank. However one is closer to 9 or 10in (fish are really hard to measure) and I worry about them being in too small of a tank.
    Getting a larger tank isn't really a problem for me right now, it's just a process I don't want to put off until I'm like 'oh my god these fish need to MOVE'. I am aware of how large common plecos can get and have been since I got them years ago, I just have never seen a guide on how to know when to move them to a bigger tank. I've just moved them when I got bigger ones. I think I will be getting a 150g in the next year (if they're okay for now), and the plecos will be the largest in the tank as always.
    Until then, are they okay in the 55g and for how long?

2. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +86
    Experience:
    1 year
    I think the most important thing is water quality. Sooner is always going to be better. But I think as long as your water stays good they should continue to grow.

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Experience:
    2 years
    Being that they are between 8-10" i would move them sooner than later seeing a 55 is only 13" front to back which does give them some room to turn around but as you said you already know how big they get so i think the 150 or even a 220 would suit them better. just my thoughts.