Time differences

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there

Using fishlore over the last month has really helped, teaching me things I never knew and the whole atmosphere is friendly and helpful.

The only tiny critisisim I have is that I am from the UK and a majority of the expertise and subscribers are from the US and because of the time zones you guys have we post while your asleep and vise vesra. What this means for us "limey's" is that when we post a question we sometimes don't get an answer for quite sometime and if the replying post has a question the origional postee(?) has moved on to other things. This means that the thread loses it's impetus and sometimes doesn't reach a helpful conclusion.

I realise this is no-ones fault but I was wondering if the powers that be could post some information on when fishlore shows most daily activity? This would help us that have urgent questions get answers from most potential viewers.

I apollogise if this information is avalilble but I couldn't find it, I did look.

Many thanks
Paul

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Scanlon, I'm glad you're enjoying fishlore, we love it here too

As for the activity times, there's a lot of members from USA granted, but there's also quite a few of us from Australia.

I generally find that there is activity around the clock on fl. I'm normally online 16hrs a day, and a number of members check in quite regularly.

IMO - the most important thing about fish keeping is patience, and whilst you might think your question has been lost, I can pretty much guarentee it hasn't

To give you an idea, my first port of call is "New Replies", followed by "New Posts". So I generally see a lot of what is being posted, and will try and answer everything I can..

The other big thing I've noticed is that if I spend a little time searching the forums, I can normally find a thread that gives me an idea of where to head.

Anyway, just wanted you to know that everyone loves everyone, and the regulars will find your post and reply.... sometimes it can be a matter of when a particular expert jumps online, not necessarily time differences.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello. Glad you're enjoying Fishlore.

Ryan, don't forget the unanswered post button next to 'New Posts'.

With the unanswered post button, some members and mods including me would check in that section from time to time to see who's thread hasn't been answered yet and they'll try their best with their knowledge to help the unfortunate out. But if they can't answer, they'd give a reply to help bump up the thread for those who can answer it. And as Ryan said, it's patience. Trust me, even I sometimes have problems with the timezone too. My country is a 12 hour difference to the US.

Hope you're doing well now.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some of us (umm... me) have been suffering from insomnia, so are on all the time anyway.
I think often it is an issue with what question you are asking. If a new member asks about cycling a tank, pretty much around the clock someone can help out. However, you get into complex questions, and you gotta wait for someone who really knows their stuff about that topic to come around and for that person to have time to answer.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ryan, don't forget the unanswered post button next to 'New Posts'.
yep, I check that one too :;a

I think my 'status' should be Fishlore Addict, not 'Fish Addict'

But the important thing is, as a community, we don't miss much

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Patience is the key to all things aquarium, including Fishlore. Even a slow reply on this site is going to be faster than a quick reply on another site. This is by far the most active aquarium forum I've come across.

Lucky for me that I have trouble sleeping & can check out what's happening on here at almost anytime. I was on here at 3am local time last night. Ooops, this morning.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most aquarium fish keepers ever online was 1,281, March 4th, 2010 at 11:41 AM AEST
This is from the front of the forums page.

So i guess, let's translate to most common timezones I see:

USA (LA) - 4:40pm
USA (Denver) - 5:40pm
USA (Houston/Chicago) - 6:40pm
USA (Washington DC/NYC) - 7:40pm
UK (London) - 12:40am
Europe (Paris/Barcelona) - 1:40am
Sth Africa - 2:40am
Singapore/Aus (Perth) - 8:40am
NZ (Auckland) - 1:40pm

So there's the hours that the forums were 'most active'.......

HTH give you an idea

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HTH has too many things it could mean... hole in the head disease, hope that helps, hotter than heck.. can't keep up.

It must have been quite a party here on March 4th. I wasn't on then - still in the hospital.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for al the advice and getting back to me so quickly!!

From the timezone stuff Ryan posted it seems like early am (my time) is the busiest. I'll just have to have a couple of expresso's around 2230.

Again thakns for the advice just thought it might help others if that info was out there.

Paul

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Paul.

I just wanted to add that, even if I had a fish emergency, I'd still wait for a response from the folks here rather than go to numerous other fish forums available to me. This is just a great bunch of people who share their knowledge and experience freely and much more promptly than the other sites.

It may not be the highest traffic forum on the internet (who knows, maybe it is!) however, it's the forum I count on when I need help. It's always worth whatever wait is involved.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes Paul, I agree to an extent. I'm usually on about 8 hrs a day and even if I post in the morning in UK time, Ken will be on, Meenu follows shortly, BB as well. I do find that the forum explodes at UK time between 9pm and on until US falls asleep at about 6am our time (for the late FL dwellers).

Hope it helps, it's a general trend from the posts I'm looking at each day though.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Paul,

I feel you. But just to reiterate here

1) insomnia trumps timezones. Members such as Meenu and myself will post at all hours of the night though in here in the U.S.
2) Many folk really do use the "New Posts" and "Unanswered Posts" links to scan the forum, rather than go through each subsection. I myself use "New Posts" and "Subscribed Pots" the most (because I auto-subscribe to everything I post in). I also do check Unanswered Posts though.
3) I don't think anyone would mind if you "bumped" your threads or asked for clarification on anything. Caveat though, if your question might belong in a different post, it would probably be better to make a whole new thread. It's just the nature of the forum that when threads start getting more than a few posts long, people won't always read through the whole thing and find out that you have a new question at the end.
4) And if your situation is indeed an emergency, I think you'll get a faster response (or just more sympathetic bumps) if you made it clear in the thread subject.

Hope that helps a bit

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom