Tiger Platy Has White Spot On Tail?!

GabeLauj

Reaction score
Hello guys!

I have 10 platys in my 10 gallon fish tank, all of whom seem very happy in their tank. The tank is cycled, everything is going well. Until two days ago, I noticed one of my tiger platys had a white spot on his tail. It is a decent size, and not to mention that one of my other platys has had a red patch on its body for awhile now. Does anyone know what these things could be? I am going to insert a picture so you guys can get a clearer picture of what everything looks like. If the above links do not work, try these:

Thank you much for the help guys! Much appreciated if I could get some answers here.

Keep on living the fish life!

Attachments

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
It can be ick. Ick is a very common fish disease that can be fatal to fish if not treated properly or quickly. It’s one of the most common diseases and I have expirienced it in my tank too. I noticed one single white spot on all my fish including a platy. I instantly went to the store and bought medication. You can get an ick super guard or use the salt and heat method. Don’t do both together either do medication or salt and heat. Medication can be harsher on fish sometimes but it does directly deal with the problem. Salt and heat works great too and I know many people who have done this method too. Just look up ick treatment and you can get a whole discription on it. Ick is a parasite that attaches onto your fish. How long have you had the tank.

GabeLauj

Reaction score
Only this platy seems to have this, is that normal? Thank you for your response, i will investigate further into ick treatment. Should i quarantine the platy with the spot and medicate it? Or keep it in the same tank?

I have had the tank for 2 months.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

Tristen

Valued Member
Reaction score
GabeLauj said:
Only this platy seems to have this, is that normal? Thank you for your response, i will investigate further into ick treatment. Should i quarantine the platy with the spot and medicate it? Or keep it in the same tank?

I have had the tank for 2 months.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
No treat the whole tank. If one fish has it it’s likely many do as well. Ick naturally lives in fish tanks. It’s not a threat though until fish get very stressed out or other causes. One spot on a single fish can mean that that fish was stressed or other problems were happening. Now since one fish has ick the parasite will feed off your fish to reproduce thousands of more parasites into your tank to get on more of your fish. Don’t worry I know that probably sounds terrifying but it’s not as bad as it seems I’d you treat it right away. Thousands of parasites were already in your tank but it could be just one that lashed onto your fish. Right away go get some type of medication or Aquarian salt and a heater for your tank. DO NOT USE NORMAL SALT. This is a huge mistake people make you must buy Aquariam salt from a store or online. Buy this tomorrow and treat them tomorrow. Read the directions carefully cause some medications require you to take the carbon out of your filter so it doesn’t remove the medication. Also if you only have platies in your tank you are good to use aquariam salt. Don’t use Aquariam salt if you have fish with no scales. That’s pretty much it but if you have any other questions keep asking cause I know it is probably scaring you.

Perpetual151

Reaction score
My Platys I bought from an online seller arrived with Ich and it looks just like that. I cranked my tank up to 80 and I used Ich-X on the whole tank for 1 week. Nothing died and all 10 of my Red Coral Platys survived.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom