Tiger Oscars - Tank Light Shyness Question!!

tintin1982

Hello

I have had 4 Copper Tiger Oscars (young one's) in a 120 gallon tank for the last week. They have been eating well but there is one problem. Whenever I switch on the tank lights they all shy away and hide behind a rock, all of them together and they don't swim about the tank like they do when I keep the tank lights off!

I asked a good friend of mine and also read on the internet and came across the idea of keeping dither fish. Will keeping a small school of dither fish (like tiger barbs) help in getting them to swim more when I turn on the tank light? If not barbs then which dither fish should I buy? Or, should I just keep light on daily for about 10 hours and slowly they will get used to it as the days go by?

Please shed some light on this.

Regards,
Tintin

Aquarist

Good morning Tintin,

I would give your fish more time to adapt to their new environment.

I don't feel that dither fish would be a good idea to house with Oscars. Eventually they may become the Oscar's breakfast

Too, with 4 Oscars in 120g's, I think the tank is fairly stocked with no other additions. Your Oscars may grow to 14 inches or so.

Hold on for more responses.

Ken

tintin1982

Hello Ken

Many thanks for replying!

Today the Oscars seemed to come out a bit more after switching on the lights. I plan on putting some driftwoods in the tank later this week so they have a few more places to hide and feel secure. I agree with you, maybe they just need more time to get accustomed to the new tank and lights. But boy do they love eating!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Deshik
Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
cpgarry
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gh05t
50 Gallon Tank Tank mates for Oscar 55g.
Replies
Views
Ardiej

New Oscar Threads

Top Bottom