Tiger oscars loosing color

1. norcal Initiate Member

I have a 7 inch long fin tiger oscar and a 5 inch regular tiger oscar , lately i have been noticing they arent as dark colored , the top of theyr head and backs are turning a milkish coloring. Is there something wrong with them??? sick?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!

oscars change colors depending on their moods all the time...but it should always go back to normal if nothings wrong

do you have any big, sharp, hard decorations or driftwood in with them? the bigger they get, the easier it is for them to hurt themselves...they are crazy fish that do somersaults and stuff...

do you know your readings for ammonia,nitrites, and nitrates? if its not a water issue, and the tank isnt over stocked, I wouldnt worry..

3. brennan2010 Initiate Member

I would check your ammonia levels. Are they dis colored all the time? Mine only lose color after i rearrange the tank and just before bed. I would look for any abrasions/scrapes you see and watch for fighting with that longtailed one because its hard to keep them with fights! Dont worry though im sure they are just goin through the normal oscar mood swings.