Tiger Oscar Or Flowerhorn

1. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Hey , very simple question. If you could would you get a Tiger Oscar or Flowerhorn?

I currently have a few deferent cichlids such as severum, EBA , Rainbow cichlid ,GBR , Apisto, Kribs , Mbunas and Blood Parrot.

Now I'm getting a new tank, but was debating between a Flowerhorn or Tiger Oscar.

Just want to hear your thoughts?

2. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

My vote is the Folwerhorn just for its sheer aggressiveness. Hopefully you can get a nice male it get a nice kok.

3. coryman55 Member Member

Flower horn
  4. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Oscar, but I'm not a fan of either.

5. Fish-whisper Member Member

I have a very nice flowerhorn, but, he is in a large tank by himself because he will destroy any fish you put in with him. Oscar is nice but they are boring compared to the flowerhorn.
  6. DylanM Member Member

Flower horn, If I could afford to set up a 75 gallon I would get one of those guys over almost anything else.
  7. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

Oscar. I prefer intelligence over ruthlessness, though Oscars can be aggressive

8. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

GET A FLOWERHORN.....THEM AWESOME..but if you looking a bit community wise go with the oscar...oscars a puppies that love you and flowerhorns are puppies that wants to kill you
  9. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Oscar !:):p:cool::D
  10. California L33 Well Known Member Member

That's a hard one. The answer I want to give is, "Yes." (I don't think I've ever seen a fish I didn't want.)

But as a show piece I think I'd rather have... still tough, but... the Flowerhorn. Both need sizeable tanks, and suitable tank mates. I'd advise getting a tank big enough for an adult to start.

11. jakefoster Well Known Member Member

12. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, seems like a FlowerHorn is winning so far 7 votes while a Tiger Oscar has 3 votes

Keep the votes coming, I'm torn between the two and I will go with which ever gets the most votes, and maybe just maybe soon or later I'll have them both. Yes I have MTS.
  13. Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

My vote is flowerhorn. I always tell my husband when we buy a house and I have space I'll be getting one ;)
  14. grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Oscar all day, mines like my under water dog he lets me stroke him even jumps for food but had to stop that as he's getting big and keeps flapping the lid up lol.
  15. Quiche Member Member

Oscars! I was always partial to fleshy headed fish like orandas, lionheads, and flowerhorns. An oscar's rounded oval shape is interesting to me- not many other common aquarium fish have it. I've also heard that they have great personalities.
  16. NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

If I had 200 gallons, maybe an Oscar. Never a flowerhorn. They seem kind of boring, and designer fish like that - I dunno. I like to look at a fish and see how its behavior may have come from nature - but when the natural habitat is a petrie dish in a Taiwanese laboratory, it doesn't bring much.

If I had a big tank, I would go for big Geophagus - Satanoperca daemon. Stuff like that is so beautiful and so interesting to watch.
  17. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

ohhh I love Fancy goldfish one of my absulte favorite fish to keep lol but regardless thanks for the vote.

Maybe I was underestimating the tank size but I thought a 125g would be good for a Oscar ? 72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 3/8

I really like the geophagus redhead tapajos, beautiful fish , but I don't know much on these guys besides that they need to be kept in groups of atleast 5+ and that males will get roughly 8" while females get 6+.
  18. Millerific Member Member

Flowerhorns are like aquatic puppies, so I would want a Flowerhorn.
  19. DylanM Member Member

All the convincing that you need to get a flower horn is from King of DIY's Frank (google it)
  20. Fish-whisper Member Member

I've owned both and at least 10 Oscars over 30 years, I thought the same but...

How Do You Interact?

I never wanted the flowerhorn because I thought the big bump head looked real odd, like one of the creatures in the movie Mars Attacks. I inherited a little baby one and things changed. My wife isn't really into the fish thing, the flowerhorn changed that, it's now her pet and she won't get rid of it for anything. For a large fish I don't think you can find any as pretty color wise.