Tiger Oscar Chasing Reflection?

1. Asteria_and_Rogue

Asteria_and_Rogue Well Known Member Member

I have an albino tiger oscar and it keeps following what I am assuming is it's reflection back and forth. It does this multiple times and then just goes aroung the tank. Is Espi board or is she, again i am assuming she is an unbreeded female, or is she looking at her reflection thinking that there is another oscar in her tank?

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

My male guppies are flaring at their reflections since moving to this new tank. One way to find out for sure is to put something over the place it’s seeing it’s reflection. Towel, cardboard anything.

3. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

Could be reflection or boredom. How big is the fish and tank size? Does it have things in the tank to swim around to entertain itself?

4. OP
    OP
    Asteria_and_Rogue

Okay I will try that and she just happens to do that in 2 places and uprooted my small amazon sword.

She is about the size of a bluegil, I apolagize about the description of her size now because I don't know her exact size and I have used my hand for messuring but I can not post pictures at the moment. She is in a 54 g corrnor tank. I have a ping pong ball floating up top that she wants nothing to do with, plants and decor that she swims either through or around.

5. Gypsy13

And she didn’t appreciate your placement of the amazon sword obviously. They’re so cute!

6. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

Pretty small tank for an oscar and the behavior seems off for an intelligent cichlid. I would say it’s a combination of boredom and loneliness. How long have you had the fish?

7. OP
    OP
    Asteria_and_Rogue

I have had her for about six months now. I rescued her from Petsmart and she was the smallest there and getting picked on. She had clamped fins and one of her gills was not working right. I know the tank is a little small for her but it was all I could afford to have with the space I have. So far all the Oscars I have seen in LFS are to small to put in the tank and I think she would hunt them. I have some guppies that are still to big for her to eat but I think they stopped giving birth to fry so she has nothing to hunt anymore. Though she does like it when I move things around in the tank and reorginize it.

8. OP
    OP
    Asteria_and_Rogue

Yeah apparently not. I still have to replant it but I have to do a waterchange tomorrow so I will replant it then along with move some stuff around. She was bought on a whim, mostly because of her condition, but I want her to be happy.

9. Gypsy13

And she will be. Takes time. You may need to buy her some live food as treats.

10. OP
    OP
    Asteria_and_Rogue

She loves hunting neon tetras.... Made the mistake of adding them in the tank and she hunted them all down... I do need to get more soon.