Tiger Barbs

ghostdawg

Are TBs not as popular as other similar types? I rarely see posts about them. Are they too aggressive? Any reason people do not like them as much?
Just curious. I've seen them in stores and wish I had started off some. They looks really nice in a school.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well, when i get my community tank set up sometime after christmas(i hope)i plan on a school of them. I haven't had much issue with their aggressiveness as they tend to keep it to themselves in schools. Though i have seen them get into it with mollies in the past.

ForceTen

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 12 Tiger Barbs.
I like keeping them. They are very easy to keep as well and fun to watch as they always seem busy.
However Use extreme caution adding other fish to a tank with a school of Tiger Barbs. They don't kill other fish outright. They kill them slowly by harassing and nipping at the fins of tank mates.
I would like to know what I can add to this tank? Cory's? I have plenty room for a couple more fish.

A201

Tiger Barbs are one of my favorites, and I never hesitate to recommend them.
Their aggressive reputation is often greatly exaggerated. All they need to coexist with most other species is to provide a tank w/ appropriate area to swim & buy a group of 8 - 12 TB's.
A community of the various TB color morphs, standard, mossy green & albino, looks awsome.

20200727_090246.jpg

20200905_090711.jpg

JettsPapa

I thought I wanted some until I saw some mature ones in a display tank at an LFS. To me the larger ones are much less attractive. However, that's just me.

Betta'sAnonymous

JettsPapa said:
I thought I wanted some until I saw some mature ones in a display tank at an LFS. To me the larger ones are much less attractive. However, that's just me.
I can see that. For me, i just plain like them.

ForceTen

My school of barbs have very little red on them. I am wondering if its hereditary or the food I am giving them?
They are about 2 years old maybe 2.5 years old.

A201

Tiger Barb males typically have red snouts & more red edging on the fins.
Maybe the majority of TB's you have are females.

ghostdawg

I will be sure to get some for my next tank setup...

ForceTen

A201 said:
Tiger Barb males typically have red snouts & more red edging on the fins.
Maybe the majority of TB's you have are females.
You may very well be right. I never even thought to think about sex when I bought them.
To late now...lol

ghostdawg

Most of my fish, I never think about sex. I really do not want fry anyway. But when I get a couple of Bolivian Rams, I'll try to pair a male/female!

Basil

Love my tigers!
I currently have 13 in a 75 g and 6 more in quarantine. I also have several color morphs including green, platinum green, a harlequin (as my LFS calls them), and gold or albino.
They are super active fish and highly entertaining.
They live in the 75 with 6 Botia dario or Queen loaches. And I also have 2 flying fox in quarantine with the 6 tiger barbs. Fingers crossed they all get along!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom