Tiger Barbs

Walter Kirby

Reaction score
Last week, I posted about possibly adding zebra danios. However, I feel as if I switched to tiger barbs. My tank is still cycling so I don’t have any fish in there yet, so the barbs would be by themselves. I was wondering, because I’m fairly new, if 1) tiger barbs are hardy fish and 2) can I add 8 at once so they go directly into schooling?

Walter Kirby

Reaction score
I have a 30G long. I have black gravel, a Marineland penguin 200 power filter, a heater, two decorations (one being a bubbler and the other being a big piece with holes for either hiding or to swim through) and I’m beginning to add plants. My cycle is only a week and a half through, so I still need more time, I was just wondering.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TBs seems to swim/float with their heads down more than other fish, so it's not necessarily related to water quality.

What are the dimensions? I'm not familiar with a 30 gal long.

As TBs can be nippy, bullies, and aggressive, I'm not sure I'd put many other fish with them, but you could do a nice school of 12-15 or so with a hardy cichlid or two and some hardy bottom feeders? You could likely add a school of zebra danios too - they're usually quick enough not to be bothered by the TBs.

Walter Kirby

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I was wondering, I know there are two rules:

1) Do not add more than 3 or 4 fish at a time
2) At least 6 tiger barbs at once

So, I wanted to add about nine of them at once. As I said, my tank is cycling (fishless), so when the cycle is complete, these will be the first additions. I'm loading about 5 ppm of ammonia into the tank daily. Is adding nine at once okay?

buttertart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've had quarter size tiger barbs in my tank with mollies and guppies and they did just fine. They stayed together and completely ignored the other fish. If you add nine at once just make sure you monitor the water parameters and make sure they don't spike. If I were you I would wait until the ammonia was at zero....

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Walter Kirby said:
Thank you so much. I was wondering, I know there are two rules:

1) Do not add more than 3 or 4 fish at a time
2) At least 6 tiger barbs at once

So, I wanted to add about nine of them at once. As I said, my tank is cycling (fishless), so when the cycle is complete, these will be the first additions. I'm loading about 5 ppm of ammonia into the tank daily. Is adding nine at once okay?
Eh, those rules are flexible.

5 ppm ammonia is a lot. If you can cycle with that much, I think you could add all of the TBs at one time, along with the other fish, if you wanted.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom