Tiger Barbs

1. Rana

Rana Valued Member Member

So I went to my lfs to buy some bloodworms. I saw a lot of like more than 100 tiger/green/albino barbs in a small tank maybe of 2 gallon, and we're getting sold really cheap. The sizes of 90% of the fishes were 1 inch. I want some of them and replace them with my danios. But will those barbs grow or that's the limit? Those barbs look really small but looks cute, if they grow that will be great. And if they do, how long till they get to their maxim size? I plan on getting 7 of them 3 yellow 2 albino and 2 green. the

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Doubt the tank is 2 gallons since 100 tiger barbs won't even fit in a tank that size.
    What is your tank size?
    What other fish do you have in your tank?
    It would probably take a few months for the tiger barbs to grow to full size (3 inches).

3. OP
    OP
    Rana

Oh my god I am really sorry I mean 20 gallon

My tank is 15 gallons. I have a dwarf gourami and 5 danios. Thinking of replacing those danios with barbs. But I Doubt if they are gonna grow as I bought danios like that once before , thought it was a fry, it's been months he's still the same

4. FishFish221

The danios might be stunted. Tiger barbs and dwarf gourami are not really compatible since the tiger barbs will nip at the dwarf gourami's ventral fins (antenna like things on the gourami) and that tiger barbs require at least 20 gallons.

5. OP
    OP
    Rana

I really don't have lot of options as my local lfs sells mostly big fishes like Oscars/severums/dollars/ parrots etc. The only option I have is either livebearers like mollies platys etc or barbs. I know my tank is small , and my lfs recommended me to keep malwaii cichlids like ! Anyways I have read in many articles that 15 gallons should be ok with tiger barbs, and they r small at the moment also, and I am planning for a 55 gals in few months too. So till then I can keep them here and they will be their max size too. What do you think?

Can tiger barbs be stunted from growth too?

6. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Any fish can be stunted from inadequate space. It's always better to have extra space than the bare minimum or 5 gallons less.

7. FishFish221

Any fish has a chance to be stunted. They release a hormone that stunts their growth and also other fish's growth.

8. OP
    OP
    Rana

So what do you think this 1 inch fishes are? Stunted? Most of them were 1 inch and only few were 1.5-2 inch and between them were 2-4 3 inch barbs.

9. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Best to stock to your current situation, life has a way of changing plans to upgrade. When you get a bigger tank then you can stock it.

Lfs usually only temporarily stock fish in small tanks because it's not feasible to keep every fish in their properly sized tanks. Those fish at the lfs are probably juveniles mixed with older fish.

10. OP
    OP
    Rana

I understand! Thanx

11. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Hope you get that bigger tank someday, until I was older couldn't afford the time or money to devote to the hobby. Hopefully you can get that tank soon.

12. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

They grow up to 7 cms in lenght and maybe around 4cm in height. I havent measured mine lol. They are pretty active. I keep them in a 36 gal and I cant really see them fitting in a 15 gal. Those one inch fish are just babies. LFS around me also sell adult tiger barbs and baby tigers. The babies cost half the price and if you have a big growout tank and DIY food (cheap yet good) buying babies in bulk can save you some money if you are patient to grow them out.
    There are many cool fish for a 15 gal tank and if you dont have acess to them locally you can consider ordering online, there are some good quality vendors online, far better than any average LFS.

13. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Tiger Barbs IMO shouldn't be housed in anything smaller then a 30g long but 55g would be better, they also need to be in high numbers to lessen aggression, Tiger barbs should be in groups of atleast 10+.

14. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

The barbs will end up killing the gourami

15. V

Vourg New Member Member

yes i agree with keeping tiger barbs in a group of 10+ i keep mine with long finned pink zebra danios, dwarf gourami, albino buenos aires tetras and they are quite well behaved at large numbers which also means you need a bigger tank coz those 1 inch tigers would get a lil bigger. better wait for your 55 gal and you'll really enjoy them.

16. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I dont think Tiger Barbs are as agressive as people play them out to be. I started with a group of 8 and I managed to kill 2 (one jumped out the other died of microbubbles...)and now there are 6 Tiger Barbs sharing the tank with 3 Mollys. The barbs have never bothered the Mollys but they did chase them and even try to nip at them when they were first added. I think they chased the Mollys because of my poor acclimation procedures as they stopped chasing the Mollys about an hour after. I am almost sure they would have left the Mollys alone if I had floated the Mollys in a breedint net of some sort for the barbs to be accostumed to their presence and then released them.