Tiger barbs yes or no?

1. 1526hk Initiate Member

Firstly not sure where this would be best suited but i thought it would be best here.

I have a 330l tank i recently upgraded about 8 weeks ago. I have not added any more fish yet.
    My parments as of today stand at:
    Ph: 7.0
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:5

The current tank members are.
    6 White clouds,
    4 Silver tips,
    4 Cherry barbs,
    4 Black phamtom tetra,
    3 Ember tetra,
    8 Guppys,
    1 X-ray tetra,
    1 Bristle nose plec,
    3 Zebra danios,
    1 Norman lamp eye,
    2 Angel fish,
    2 Albino Buenos Aires tetra,
    1 Female dwarf gourami,
    1 Male salfin molly,
    1 South American bumble-bee catfish,
    3 Albino corys,
    2 Female platys,
    1 Marble hatch fish,
    1 Female balloon molly.
    I have worked out that i have 266 cm of fish so have 64 cm of fish left.

I keep looking at getting some tiger barbs but i have read different things about them. So i wasn't sure what different peoples experiences people have had with them.

Any ideas thanks.

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I would NOT put tiger barbs into that tank. Unless you're willing to get rid of some of your schooling fish that aren't in proper schools (the x-ray tetra, the zebra danios, the hatchetfish, the ember tetras) to make room for a LARGE school of tiger barbs (we're talking ten to fifteen of the buggers), you don't have room. If tiger barbs aren't in large schools or with fish that will keep them in line (i.e.-other semi-aggressive fish), their aggression will spill over to the other fish in the tank. Your angels, molly, platies, gourami...heck, any fish that isn't a as big or aggressive as the tiger barbs, will be a target. In my experience, tiger barbs should only be kept with other semi-aggressive species or they stress the other fish out too much.

Also the inch per gallon "rule" (or in your case, the centimeter per litre "rule") is not accurate at all. Different fish have different bioloads (the amount of waste they produce), which needs to be taken into account. For example, I can guarantee that your 2" balloon molly creates a higher bioload than almost any of your other 2" fish in the tank. Mollies produce a ton of waste, especially for their size. Also, are you going off the adult size of these fish (like your angels and pleco) or are you going off the size they currently are?

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You've got a lot of species in incomplete school numbers. Before you think about getting another species, and personally I don't think barbs are a good mix with this grouping, you need to finish your existing schools. All the tetras should have 6, 8 is better. The hatchetfish needs a school.

Not sure what hte 266 cm of fish so have 64 cm left is, except that you're probably going by the old "inch per gallon" or whatever it is. It's not a viable concept. I think you're done stocking this tank and in fact, will be overstocked once your schools are complete.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

I agree, I would fill out the incomplete schools before adding any more species. Also, based on the school sizes you have, I would expect you are only going to get a few tiger barbs, which is not a good idea. But aside from that, I too don't think they are a match for your tank.

5. 1526hk Initiate Member

Ok i wont get any then, just thought i better check first. I do want some more hatch fish as my lfs gave it to me free as someone had brought it in. The ember tetras were in a bigger shole but they have slowly died off i was going to leave them as they are as they seem to stick with the cherry barbs. As for the danios I do keep looking for some more but my lfs' don't seem to have any.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, that's the way of it. Most of us have incomplete schools here and there, and it's not always as easy as getting more.

7. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Hence the reason I usually suggest rehoming the incomplete schools (either to the LFS or to someone else who has the same kind of fish) unless they are a readily available species of fish that should be easy to obtain to round out the school (generally, like danios, neons, barbs, etc). :)