Tiger barbs with blood parrots?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fishyluv, Dec 11, 2012.

1. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

I have 5 tiger barbs in a 30 gallon along with a small firemouth. I want to move the tiger barbs to my 125 with my 6 blood parrots. I dont want to get anymore tiger barbs to up the school. I plan on putting the firemouth in with the parrots when he gets a little bigger. He is only 1 1/2 in. right now. So here is my questions: Can i add these 5 tiger barbs with my blood parrots in the 125 gal? What do i need to put in there for coverage for the barbs? Also how big does the firemouth have to be to go in the 125? TIA

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Hi, fishyluv.

I'd highly suggest upping the Tiger Barb school to at least 8-10, as the more you have the less the aggression would be apparent.

As far as Tiger Barbs with Blood Parrots, I wouldn't advise that, as the Tiger Barbs are quite aggressive fish and might pick on the Parrots too much causing a lot of stress and black marks (as Parrots get somewhat easily if too stressed).

The Firemouth, IMO, can go in with the Parrots after it gets at least 4-5 inches or around that. :)

3. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks Alex, I know i wondered about the nippy coming out of the tiger barbs with the parrots. I am not wanting them to go in there anyways if thats what they will do! Well will the tiger barbs be ok to stay in a 30 gal? Even if i up the school? I have the firemouth in there with the tiger barbs at the moment but the tiger barbs are hogs with the food! Could i move the firemouth in another 30 gal with 8 rummynose and 1 bolivian or i could add the firemouth tom my community tank just till he grows a little bit and then goes in the 125? These fish!

4. A

To lessen the aggression and nippy behavior of the Tiger Barbs, I'd get 5 more and leave them in the tank with the Firemouth. Wait until the Firemouth gets at least 4 inches or so and then add it into the Parrot Tank (125 Gallon).

IF you are wanting to keep the Tiger Barbs, I'd leave them where they are and not move them. By themselves, they are only filling up about 70% capacity as it is.

On your 125 Gallon, I wouldn't add any more after obtaining the 6 Blood Parrots and adding the Firemouth later. You'd be around full capacity at that point.

5. OP
    OP
    f

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure the the amount of fish per tank or the full capacity? And what size tank do 8 australian rainbows need to be in? Thanks again Alex for your help! :)

6. A

You're welcome on the help. :)

I've gotten to the point of knowing (most of the time) the approximate capacity for the fishes needs. I may be a bit off from time to time, but that's par for the course.

For the 8 Australian Rainbow fish, I'd suggest a minimum of a 55 Gallon Aquarium, but ultimately a 75 Gallon would be more room for them depending if you were to put other fishes with them.

7. OP
    OP
    f

Oh No! I was told they could go in my 125 along with my parrots by another member on here. They are pigs though! Would they work with the parrots 1 firemouth and 8 AR in a 125? I just may have to get rid of the austalians because i already have 8 tanks going! I have had them for 6 wks in quarantine in a 25 gal. They are around 2 1/2 inches. A few may be 2 in. From day 1 they have been really active and very good eaters! lol I may have to put them on the buy sell trade forum. Ugh!

8. A

Can you paste the post that the person noted that 8 Australian Rainbows would work in the 125 Gallon with the Blood Parrots AND the Firemouth?

That would be a bit overcrowded, IMO.

Blood Parrots need their room. They also need plenty of hiding spaces, caves, etc. I had 3 Parrots in a 75 Gallon (when I had them) and I was told I was pushing it with the Cats and the Pleco.

9. OP
    OP
    f

I cant remember who it was. I will have to look back at my post. I should have knownbetter i guess. I defintely will have to re-home these AR's then.

10. A

You may have a small bit of room left in the 125 Gallon after the BP's and the Firemouth, but it would be VERY minimal. Not enough room really to do much with, if that makes sense.

11. OP
    OP
    f

Yes It does make sense. I found that post but dont know how to paste it.

12. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

13. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Yep, thats true. I like this hobby because it not necessarily black and white all the time.

14. OP
    OP
    f

15. A

Read Cichlidnut's comment about the 6 BP's with only 1 or 2 more Cichlids. It will help you with your decision as it co-insides with my opinion.

A big difference with 2 AR's versus 8 AR's. Which, as he states, they school unfortunately.

16. F

FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

id just put the tiger barbs in i have 4 with my blood perrot no problem

17. A

There is not enough room in her 125 Gallon to fit in 10 Tiger Barbs as I advised about the capacity.

Too, because of their eventual aggression, it's advisable to have a minimum of 8-10 Tiger Barbs (Higher the number, the less aggression).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice