Tiger Barbs, Red Tailed Black Shark, ...? 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by greenindirt, Apr 14, 2010.

1. greenindirt

greenindirtNew MemberMember

Alright, while I'm waiting for my first tank to cycle (120 some litres, maybe 32 gallons?) I've been planning on how to stock it.

I love the look of tiger barbs but was at first discouraged by reading how they did not get on well with other fish as I wanted more than one type for my first tank. Reading on, I heard how RTBS (red tailed black shark) can get on well with tiger barbs and since I don't mind the look of RTBS either, I figured that would be great. My tank is 30in long so the RTBS should be good from what I have read.

With a school of tiger barbs and with the RTBS I'm getting pretty closed to being stocked I think, right?

So here's the questions:
    With just a RTBS besides the tiger barbs, how many tiger barbs could there be? I'm thinking 8-10, but input would be great.
    If I kept the tiger barb school smaller (5-6, say) are there any other fish that would be able to handle themselves in this tank? In particular I am curious about different tetras (neon, serpae, skirt, bloodfin) or a pearl gourami. I am aware of the agressive nature of the tiger barbs so suggest any that could do well in this tank. Is there not enough room?

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Greenindirt and Welcome to Fish Lore.

In my opinion and from what I've read, I would keep any type of barbs as a species only tank. Most of them tend to be such fin nippers I just wouldn't risk other tank mates.

The Red Tail Black Shark is going to be VERY territorial once he adapts to his new home. Personally I feel they should have at least 55g's or more with lots of hiding places and only 1 per tank. I have one in my 265g and he gives my Silver Dollars a run for their money.

I think your stocking plan is risky :)

Let's see what other responses you receive. I hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think 8-10 would be good - too few cause trouble. I think some people say 55 gallons for the RTS. I don't know, never kept them.

I wouldn't add anything else, especially not a pearl gourami - way too timid. As for tetras, serpaes are a good choice, though I'm not sure how the RTS would like being in a tank full of nippy fish....

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

and my view is 8-10 barbs would be a cool tank and the rts for the bottom......ive had both, and in the process of doing an entire tiger tank again with an abn for the bottom...my rts controls the entire bottom of one of my other tanks, so all his tankmates are middle/top dwellers....he does fine but does come to the top when its flake feeding time LOL (hes greedy!) i also wouldnt add anything else as jaysee suggested...so if you think you will be happy with just the tigers and the rts, cool....if you wont, dont bother with the tigers

5. anunez91Valued MemberMember

i kept nine tiger barbs in a 29 gallon with a decently sized RTS and it worked out amazingly, they always played tag, the only reason i got rid of mine is cause my tank was way overstocked and there were other fish that were higher up on the list to keep, including a full grown blue gourami, who lived peacfully with the RTS as well, i say go for it so long as you keep your tank lightly stocked! The RTS are amazing fish once they gain some size

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice