Tiger Barbs only ones dying in tank?

JuniperJay

Hello! I have a 45 gallon tank that has been cycling for well over a month now. I got the bacterial bloom and tried adding a few Tiger Barbs and some Odessa Barbs. The Tiger Barbs were dead within 48 hours but the Odessa Barbs thrived. Thinking it was just some bad luck with the Tiger Barbs, I got some more. They died within 48 hours again. We then removed the Odessa Barbs thinking they were possibly somehow harassing them to death. I also added an air pump as I know that the Tiger Barbs are low oxygen sensitive. Again, dead within 48 hours. I am absolutely frustrated. I've had it tested by my local pet store (test strips) and our local fish store (liquid test kit) and they both okay'ed the tank. I also have a liquid test kit myself.

I currently have no fish or live plants in the tank.

Here are my parameters:
pH: 7.6
gH: 161.1ppm
kH: 71.6ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
I do find it odd that the nitrate is zero, but our 50 gallon that is cycled and has fish in it also shows 0 nitrate when it is tested.

BigManAquatics

That seems odd to me. Tiger barbs are like the one fish i used to not be able to kill! Did all the tiger barbs come from the same source?

Upvote 0

JuniperJay

The first time, no. The second and third times, yes.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

What was the temp at? I know tiger barbs like the warm. Don't know on the odessas.

Upvote 0

JuniperJay

Around 78F for the third batch, before that I believe it was at 75F.

Upvote 0

Basil

I keep my tiger barb tank at 78 +/-.
That’s really odd. I have a couple that survived some pretty horrific blunders by me when I got back into fish keeping a few years ago.
Does it happen after water changes by any chance?

Upvote 0

A201

Be a good idea to keep the temperature on the lower end for the Odessas. Tiger Barbs can handle temps in the lower 70's.
IMO, Tigers are a far more durable Barb than the Odessas.
I doubt the Odessas bullied the Tigers enough to kill them. It's been my experience that Odessa males only target other Odessa males & spend most of the A.M. hours chasing females.
Maybe its just bad luck, sick batches of Tigers, or an acclimation problem. Make sure the Tigers are eating before buying.
Hang in there, things will work out.

Upvote 0

JuniperJay

I did do a water change with one batch and then not the other. I know I did one because I already had a couple of them die and was worried about ammonia. I only do around 15-20% on water changes.

I have only floated the bags for acclimation, but I do have access to a drip acclimator. I'll pick up a few sometime this week and acclimate them that way and see if that was the problem. Fingers crossed!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fluidmotion1987
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
mark144
  • Question