Tiger Barbs mating?

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by c4shmeree, Jul 4, 2015.

1. c4shmereeNew MemberMember

Hey guys, so I recently purchased 4 tiger barbs (I know there are supposed to be more than 5 in a tank, don't yell at me)
    they haven't been nipping the other fish I have which are rummy nose tetra (5 of those) both fish pretty much get along with each other just fine--in fact, they seem to ignore the others.

As of today, however, I found the tiger barbs chasing each other very quickly, faster than I've ever seen them swim. When I purchased them at the store, the guy gave me 2 males and 2 females, just by chance. So they seem to have paired off and just chase each other, but if the male sees the other male they chase too and I think thats when they nip. Anyway after a few seconds of the male chasing the female barb, they'll go into a corner or between some of the larger rocks and sort of "link tails" and then break off after a few seconds of doing that. Is that mating or is it just playing around?

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Have you read this?:  
    It describes their behavior. If they are breeding in these conditions, then you are fortunate!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice