Tiger Barbs mating?

c4shmeree

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, so I recently purchased 4 tiger barbs (I know there are supposed to be more than 5 in a tank, don't yell at me)
they haven't been nipping the other fish I have which are rummy nose tetra (5 of those) both fish pretty much get along with each other just fine--in fact, they seem to ignore the others.

As of today, however, I found the tiger barbs chasing each other very quickly, faster than I've ever seen them swim. When I purchased them at the store, the guy gave me 2 males and 2 females, just by chance. So they seem to have paired off and just chase each other, but if the male sees the other male they chase too and I think that's when they nip. Anyway after a few seconds of the male chasing the female barb, they'll go into a corner or between some of the larger rocks and sort of "link tails" and then break off after a few seconds of doing that. Is that mating or is it just playing around?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
Have you read this?:
It describes their behavior. If they are breeding in these conditions, then you are fortunate!

New Threads