Tiger Barbs Lightly Nipping

fishpicklepaste
Hello,

I recently moved 13 Tiger Barbs (8 regular, 5 albino) into a 150 gallon tank with a few other fish in there. I know that the barbs can be nippy and I was worried about that going into the move. It's been a day now and I notice that occasionally, a Tiger Barb will notice another fish swimming by and start following them, ready to nip. If they catch up or the other fish stops moving they will give them a light little bite. I'm worried that this will stress the other fish out and start causing other problems.

The tank has plenty of places for fish to run to and hide if they get followed, but I want to give them the best life that I can give in the tank. I'm going to go out and get a few more Tiger Barbs to mix things up a little in their school and hopefully get them to focus more on each other than other fish.

Or maybe is it that the Tiger Barbs are just being curious about their new tank mates since they just moved in?

Thanks!

Advertisement
MrBryan723
They are notorious fin nippers so there's a good chance it won't stop.

Mick2409
I have a tank with mixed barbs and every now and then they nip each other just nor for them

I have a tank with mixed barbs and every now and then they nip each other just nor for them
What other fish you have in there

Coptapia

I disagree. They’re nippy in small numbers and/or small tanks. But if there’s enough of them and they have enough space, they keep themselves to themselves. With 13 in 150 gallon there’s a good chance it will stop, imo.

I think it’s maybe curiosity, and especially if it’s an upgrade, a bit of over-excitement(?). Adding a few more might well work.

Bexiboo
Tiger barbs actually communicate by nipping so nipping is entirely normal behavior. They are considered semi-aggressive, not peaceful community fish. If you don’t want your other fish to be nipped, put the tiger barbs back. It’s not something you can stop by adding hiding spots either; it’s how they are.

fishpicklepaste
HI guys, I just wanted to give an update about the tiger barbs:

I would say that they have calmed down quite a bit! The nipping has gone down maybe 85%, which is great! They have learned to respect others' personal space!

Hopefully it remains this way going forward.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lindat
Replies
Views
Fluidmotion1987
Replies
Views
QueenLittleLizard
Replies
Views