Tiger Barbs Kissing Or Fighting?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ronniethewitch, May 3, 2019.

1. Ronniethewitch

RonniethewitchValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +405
    Experience:
    1 year
    Two of my tiger barbs just starting moving in circles together in what looks like a big long lip lock. I have never seen this behavior among them before. The two of them are quite animated and their colors have become quite dark and pronounced as they are doing it. they look like they are kissing pulling apart and then kissing again but the rest of the tiger barbs are watching in a semi circle like its a school yard fight. should I be concerned?

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,147
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Lip locking is almost always fighting. Regardless of the species. I am going to guess its a couple males fighting for dominance.

How many of the barbs do you have? Do you know what your ratio of males to females is?

3. OP
    OP
    Ronniethewitch

Ratings:
    +405
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have 8 tigerbarbs - two adults I've had for a year and 6 juveniles that have been in the tank 2 or 3 months now. I have no idea in the ratio of male to female...I don't know the difference and was told it didn't matter.

it seems to have stopped now...do I have to be concerned? I do have a quarantine tank I can put one in if necessary. Or is it like a wolfpack, where they determine the pecking order...alpha, beta etc?

edit: I was told the ratio didn't matter like it does for the platys, is that incorrect?

@bizaliz3 @mattgirl Should I separate them or will they work it out on their own? Does the ratio matter? if I give pics will you help me to sex them to determine the ratio? Is it likely to be an on-going problem?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
  4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,147
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I am almost positive the ratio matters. I have never kept tiger barbs before, but I know other types of barbs need to have more females than males. And I am sure it is the same for them. Its the case for many schooling species to be honest. My emperor tetras had issues when I had more males then females. When I got more females, things improved. Its the same for live bearers as well I believe. Not just platys.

The male to female ratio is usually the most beneficial for the females. If there are too many boys and not enough girls, the female get harassed too much. But I think having too many males in general can cause issues between the boys as well.

If they have calmed down and you see no injuries, just let it be for now. But if it doesn't calm down, you may need to separate them.

I cant help sex them, but others can!

I really can't help you with tiger barbs much beyond the fact that you shouldn't have more males than females. And that they are nippy fish and must be kept in decent sized schools to keep that in check. But plenty of people should be able to help you problem solve more.

5. OP
    OP
    Ronniethewitch

Ratings:
    +405
    Experience:
    1 year
    thank you so much for answering and quickly as well :) seeing the behaviour really freaked me out! trying to post a picture now to see if anyone can help with the sexing of them. thank you again though:emoji_bouquet:

Can anyone help with sexing these? Apologise for the quality, its my phone...a crackberry (!) and the red on their fins and tails just does not seem to be showing up in the photos...but in real life its quite obvious..

@chromedome52 I saw you on a barb post asking for help with sexing before...can you help?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019

Become a Fishlore Member