Tiger barbs hiding

1. ZanderFTW

ZanderFTW Valued Member Member

55 gallon tank, my current stock is 1 bristle nose pleco, 9 small tiger barbs and 1 red tailed shark. Nitrates and stuff 0, ph 7.9

I not sure why but my tiger barbs are hiding behind the power head of my tank I recently introduced them about 2 weeks ago and they were all chill and doing their thing. Now their all cramped in the top corner of the tank, i think this is happening because i have a RTS and he's always chasing them around, it does have 2 cave structures and 2 pieces of driftwood but other then that its a very open tank. Also I left the RTS alone for 3 days would that be a problem.

Any suggestions i was thinking more hiding places would do the trick.

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Are you sure your water parameters are correct? In a cycled tank, it is very uncommon to have 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and 0ppm nitrates. So if your test kit is faulty for some reason, they could be hanging in the corner because of that.

But if all parameters are good, I guess it could be the RTS scaring them, although I always thought tiger barbs were pretty brave and aggressive. Maybe they are just to young to know they are tuff guys.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I gotta say that I have a large tiger barb in with my black skirts and emerald corys and he hides most of the time actually. I think it could be the RTS keeping things in the corners.

Personally I would also retest the water and beat the heck out of that number 2 bottle for the nitrate test, and also make sure you are performing the tests according to the directoins, use a timer if necessary.

4. L

Ladayen Valued Member Member

I would be looking at the RTS as well. 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is generally what you want in a tank, sometimes people add nitrates for plants though. If everything is not 0 you might wanna do a water change. Of course... if your tap water is the problem....

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ladayen, nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia gets converted into nitrites, nitrites get converted into nitrates. So as a constant supply of ammonia is being produced, you end up with a constant rise in nitrate levels. The reason for weekly partial water changes is to keep nitrates low. Unless a tank is lightly stocked and heavily planted, you will never be able to acheive 0ppm nitrates.

6. OP
    OP
    ZanderFTW

I have 0.05ppm ammonia i retested today, and my tank is very lightly stocked at the moment i have a ehiem 2215 and its rated up to 350l that might be why its so low. I'm also with jdhef i thought the tiger barbs were brave, I will try getting some pvc pipes for hiding places maybe that will calm them. Also I'm going to be setting up a planted tank after the summer!!!

7. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

This is not correct and should not be handed out as advice. Please be sure to read jdhef's response to your post.

8. OP
    OP
    ZanderFTW

Ya i know that information didn't sound right