Tiger Barbs and White Skirt Tetra's? Question

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by Caminator, Mar 23, 2010.

1. C

Caminator New Member Member

I've been trying to figure out what to do with 4 previously dyed white skirt tetra's that I've taken over from somebody else. I hate how people dye fish but I can't get rid of them because it's not their fault they were dyed and I feel they deserve a happy home too. I've recently moved all of my other fish and taken over fish into my heavily planted show tank but I can't move these fish over because they're pretty aggressive and I don't want fish darting all over the place in that tank. Right now they sit with a 12" Sailfin Catfish in a 50 gallon.

My question is, what is everyone's experience mixing Tiger Barbs with White Skirt Tetra's? I'm thinking about doing 5 or 6 Green Tiger Barbs of equal size with 4 White Skirt Tetra's in a moderately planted 20 gallon tank. I've seen them living together in the LFS but that was quite a bit bigger of a tank.

Thanks.

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im afraid in a 20g tank, that might be a war zone :( if you up the school sizes, and offer some plants for hideouts, maybe it could work? but if not, having a back up tank is most important :)

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

White skirts are pretty nippy too. I think they may work just fine with the tiger barbs. My only suggestion is to have a backup plan in case it doesn't, whether that means you have a spare tank available, or you are able to return the barbs.

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I had tiger barbs and couldn't stand them because they picked on everybody, not just other barbs. My husband had black skirts and they were also pretty aggressive. As two aggressive species, they "might" be alright in a larger tank, but a 20 gallon? Fuhgeddaboudit. :whistling:

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A 20 is just too small to house tiger barbs, let alone both. there just wouldnt be enough space for the fish to escape one another - i dont care how many plants are in the tank. ive kept tiger barbs for a long time, in a 10 all the way up to a 55 - a 29 is a minimum

6. OP
    OP
    C

Caminator New Member Member

The thing is I've always wanted to have a Tiger Barb Only tank and I was thinking about doing this down the road but ever since finding out these White Skirts are aggressive I figured I'd fast track the Tiger Barb Idea.

I think with everyone's advice I may have to either place the white skirts in the 20 by themselves or completely reconfigure my 50 gallon from a future Oscar tank to a Tiger Barb Tank.

I think I will eventually go with the former as I'm dying to own an Oscar or two. Tiger Barbs will have to wait but they will continue to fascinate me.

7. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

They're fascinating until you get them and they eat all your other fish. :;jaws

;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice