Tiger barbs and mollies?

Tink

Reaction score
I've got 4 tiger barbs in a 20 gallon right now and I'd like to get 2-3 mollies to join them. Would they get along or should I pick a different tankmate for them?

If they can get along, should I get 2 more tigers (I've read they do better with at least 6)?

And if I get mollies, can I get 3 or are they better kept in even numbers like the barbs?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The barbs would enjoy more buddies. I think the Mollies would be fine. When you have livebearers(Mollies are live bearers) its best to keep them in a trio(1 male and 2 females) so the male doesn't harrasse just one female.
Carol

Tink

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the response! (I'm keeping my barbs and mollies seperated at the moment because the lady at the LFS said they'd kill each other...but I hear they can be ignorant at times.) I wasn't sure, so I just got a pair...I'll stop by the store tomorrow and get another female.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just watch them for any nipping but I think you should be fine. The barbs will eat any fry the mollys have though. If you observe any damaging nipping then you could seperate them but I don't think it will happen. The barbs will be too busy chasing each other around
Ccarol

Tink

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice again! They've been getting along great. They actually interact and don't bite each other at all. Hooray!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom