Tiger barbs and a bristlenose pleco?

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OK, My tank is just recovering from a severe case of Ick that wiped out most of my stock. I've now got it under control, and I'm starting to plan on a restocking strategy. I'm thinking a barb tank with corys, and I have a few questions.

Will my 2 remaining Panda corys be OK with the barbs?

Will my 2 remaining Praecox Rainbows be OK with the barbs, or should I donate them...I hate to lose them, as one is a male with the beautiful red fins.

Will a bristlenose pleco do OK with the barbs?

I was thinking of doing a mixed barb tank.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you were to leave Tiger Barbs off your stocking list of Barbs, then the Rainbows & Bristlenose should do ok. I've kept a few different Rainbow species with a few of the slightly more peacefull Barbs before without any problems. BN's are pretty tough fish but even they can cop a hard time if there are Tiger Barbs around. I would add an extra 2 Panda Cory before I added anything else. Make sure your water quality is under control before you add anything new.

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sadly, the tigers, albino tigers, and green tigers were the ones I was interested in! I don't know if I can find any more Panda Corys right now. I'm really hesitant to go back to my LFS where I purchased ALL of my previous fish (since I brought home the Ick last time). As far as water parameters go, I'm figuring I'm going to need to add another bottle of TSS. I'm going to wait another 3 days, do a 80% water change, and then change my filter sponge AND bio media. Hopefully that will be the last of the Ick. I'm then going to SLOWLY lower my water temps to 78F, and let the re-stocking begin. I really don't care for the tinfoil barbs. Any other colorful, active barbs that would be good tankmates? I know I should add some more Rainbows, but short of going back to the LFS where I originally purchased all of my fish (...the Ick...remember...), I don't know that I'll be able to find any more of them either.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
depending on how much you're willing to spend I'm sure some members on here have some pandas for sale. If not you could go try to find another LFS

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm no expert but corys of different breads seem to school together pretty well. I had peppered, panda and albino (bronze) in together and they were all playing together. If you can't get more pandas what about other corys?

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm no expert but corys of different breads seem to school together pretty well. I had peppered, panda and albino (bronze) in together and they were all playing together. If you can't get more pandas what about other corys?
I'm definitely going to get other Corys. I just figured on something a little hardier than Pandas. My remaining 2 Pandas seem to be getting along fine with my 2 Rabauti Corys.

I was figuring on rehoming my remaining Platy. I've currently got 2 Praecox Rainbows left. I was going to see about going to a Barb tank with Tiger, Albino, and Green Tiger Barbs. Along with the Barbs, I wanted a Bristlenose Pleco, and some Corys. I'm just wondering about compatibility and if I'll need to rehome my Rainbows also.

Last edited:

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
in answer to your question about colorful barbs that would be alright with your rainbows, Cherry Barbs are nice and red(the males atleast). And gold barbs are quite bright and very active, real bright yellow(or gold I guess) color with a few black dots down the sides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think if you want to keep aggressive barbs, just keep them in a species-only tank.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im in the process of getting a tiger barb n bn tank too!! (if I stop rescuing other fish grr) ...cannot wait! but my tank is smaller..when I had tigers before, they were menaces to themselves, and anything middle/top dwelling...they didnt bother my cories...but does that mean they wont? who knows...rainbows and tigers id say is a no no tho....

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think if you want to keep aggressive barbs, just keep them in a species-only tank.
I'm figuring I'll donate my 2 remaining Praecox back to the LFS, my daughter's 10 gallon tank isn't big enough to add them. I'm sure they'll take them, as they didn't have any males left, and my male Preacox looks really nice. My Platy I can transfer to my daughter's 10 gallon w/o any issues!

I was figuring on adding the other Cory's and Pleco first, so they would already be there before the barbs are added.

Stupid question, when you say "species only" do you mean only barbs PERIOD...or do you think the Cory's and BN Pleco will be ok with them?

im in the process of getting a tiger barb n bn tank too!! (if I stop rescuing other fish grr) ...cannot wait! but my tank is smaller..when I had tigers before, they were menaces to themselves, and anything middle/top dwelling...they didnt bother my cories...but does that mean they wont? who knows...rainbows and tigers id say is a no no tho....
Thanks Shawnie, I've decided my remaining Rainbows will be re-homed! If I keep the Rainbows and get 4 more for them to shoal, then I'll want to add another GBR, and I'm sure the Rainbows hyper activity won't be good for the Ram, so I'm leaning more and more towards a Tiger Barb tank! I hear they are super-active, and very pretty to look at!

Same stupid question for you Shawnie (as if I've not asked enough already ) When you say "species only" do you mean only barbs PERIOD...or do you think the Cory's and BN Pleco will be ok with them? I'm guessing you think the Cory's/Pleco SHOULD be OK. I know nothing is written in stone.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I meant only tiger barbs. I think they are really cool fish - I'd love to have a tank of nothing but those.

I don't have personal experience with them, as I haven't owned any. But i suppose I kind of think of them like I do male bettas (well, female bettas too). They may work with certain tankmates. There is also a pretty good chance they won't. Why risk it? get them their own tank, and they can be happy and you can be stress-free. Similar to the advice I would give on a betta (which I do have experience with personally).

Obviously, this is just an opinion. Shawnie, who is an experienced hobbyist, is about to try the combo you want to try.

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I meant only tiger barbs. I think they are really cool fish - I'd love to have a tank of nothing but those.

I don't have personal experience with them, as I haven't owned any. But i suppose I kind of think of them like I do male bettas (well, female bettas too). They may work with certain tankmates. There is also a pretty good chance they won't. Why risk it? get them their own tank, and they can be happy and you can be stress-free. Similar to the advice I would give on a betta (which I do have experience with personally).

Obviously, this is just an opinion. Shawnie, who is an experienced hobbyist, is about to try the combo you want to try.
Got it! I guess I could do without the Cory's (they are really cool, though!), but I really want the Pleco! I could go with a Rubberlip/Rubbernose/Bulldog vs the BN if they would be any better. The other option is to scrap the Tiger Barbs altogether, and decide on another course of stocking .

I really like the dwarf cichlids, but you are pretty limited on what you can keep with them too! The other option is to get more Rainbows/Platy/Corys...**** !

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try the rubberlip pleco with the tigers if you want... just have some extra filter media in your filter or tank, and either an extra tank or money set aside for one. That way, if you need to rehome in an emergency, you're already set. (Once again, same advice I would give for a betta )

I think the AC filters work great for this sort of thing, since they use loose media instead of cartridges. And of course, if it is in the budget, canisters are wonderful.

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Try the rubberlip pleco with the tigers if you want... just have some extra filter media in your filter or tank, and either an extra tank or money set aside for one. That way, if you need to rehome in an emergency, you're already set. (Once again, same advice I would give for a betta )

I think the AC filters work great for this sort of thing, since they use loose media instead of cartridges. And of course, if it is in the budget, canisters are wonderful.
Thanks, I've got an AC110 on my 38 galllon tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom