120 Gallon Tank Tiger Barbs all dying

madampleco

Hello, I have recently cycled a new 120 gallon tank as a new addition to my old 36 gallon. The tank started cycling almost 3 months ago and has been ready for a month and a half. A common pleco that is around 12 inches has been in the tank since it finished cycling and I was able to purchase 12 juvenile tiger barbs (4 regular, 4 green, 4 albino) about a week and a half ago. I bought some shrimp for my small tank at the same time as the barbs so I decided to move my 3 serpae tetras into the larger tank the same day (did not quarantine any of the fish as I do not yet have a quarantine tank but I did acclimate all).
Almost immediately after I put the tiger barbs in, I noticed one looked sick and another was much smaller than the rest. These guys died a couple days later but I figured that was to be expected. Another couple days later, four more died over night and since then I have steadily been losing them until I am now down to only two out of twelve. Some of their tails looked pretty shredded but others would go from completely healthy to dead extremely quickly. From what I could see the serpaes are not bothering them more than they nip at each other but my water conditions are almost perfect so I cannot think of what else is happening. All the serpaes and the pleco seem to be doing great. I know it is probably too late for these guys but I wanted to see if there were any suggestions out there on what is happening or what I can do next time.

Readings
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Temp: 79

Andres391

Let me get this right you have 3 Serpae tetra a one common pleco and the only ones dying are the tiger barbs. Tank is already been cycled and you acclimated them. I could of been stress maybe they were raised in poor condition and were already sick or had a week immune system. While and after your cycle were you doing weekly water changes?

Upvote 0

madampleco

Let me get this right you have 3 Serpae tetra a one common pleco and the only ones dying are the tiger barbs. Tank is already been cycled and you acclimated them. I could of been stress maybe they were raised in poor condition and were already sick or had a week immune system. While and after your cycle were you doing weekly water changes?
Thanks for the reply! During the cycle I was doing closer to every two weeks but since the end of the cycle it has been consistent every week... only about 10% of the water though each time as the tank is huge and there are not many fish in it.

Upvote 0

Andres391

Thanks for the reply! During the cycle I was doing closer to every two weeks but since the end of the cycle it has been consistent every week... only about 10% of the water though each time as the tank is huge and there are not many fish in it.
Your tank should be fine by now I would just pay close attention to the fish you buy next time and insure that you get healthier ones and at least medium size fish not to young and delicate and not to old where it will die on you of old age in a few months..Good luck

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AnyaK13
Replies
Views
!poogs!
Replies
Views
MC0115
Replies