Tiger Barb

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Wesley Gelman, Dec 21, 2012.

1. W

Wesley Gelman New Member Member

Hi
    I know a pretty good amount about fish. I have 3 tiger Barbs and Some times they face down and don't move much. Also some times they aren't schooling. I am wondering is a fish in the tank is disterbing the i have 2 glo fish 1 gourmini 1 rainbow fish 1 kissey fish and 1 pleco. plaese help :D

Also I can't find where to post anouther thread

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  2. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Tiger barb's do that. Mine did that all the time.

3. OP
    OP
    W

Thank you and they won't school all the time

4. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Tiger barbs don't school without 5.

5. h

hobo Valued Member Member

Tiger Barbs are going to need a bigger tank, they should be kept in a minimum 20 gallon or larger as they can get up to 3 inches long. They will be happier in a school of 6 or more.
    As far as the face down thing goes its normal nothing to worry about.
    :)

6. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Wait, wait, wait, hold the phone... are you saying that you have 3 tiger barbs, 2 glo fish, 1 gourmini, 1 rainbow fish, 1 kissey fish and 1 pleco... in a 10 gallon tank?
    :jawdrop:

Not to mention that depending on the type of pleco it can grow to 1-2 feet long...

7. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

My thoughts exactly, i was looking thru here to see info on the tank size itself. i could not find any.
    what size it the tank? if it is a 10 gl you def need something bigger with that stocking list.
    and when you say Kissey fish, do you mean Kissing Gourami? if so, that alone requires a 55gl they get upwards of 8-10 inches.
    But hey, its Christmas time.

8. Mrs.Price

capture-20121221-180534_zps3e83d3af.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    W

I have a special type of pleco species that can only grow up to 2 to 4 inches
    Any way thankyou for your answers

and how do i post a new thread

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  10. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

But you also have many other fish in there too!! please get a larger tank or get rid of some of your fish, give or sell them back to the LFS or a friend, I can barely live in my house with 2 other people, I certainly wouldn't want it to be another 20!

11. Mrs.Price

Even still, your tank is severely over stocked... a lot of those fish can't be in a 10 gallon, even by themselves.

12. Disc61

Ahhh, now i see, thanks

sounds like your pleco is a Bristlenose, and even a bristlenose needs a larger tank. ( my Bristlenose is 5 inches and in a 55gl)
    ultimately it is your tank and your decision. we can only share our knowledge. just think about this, for instance the Kissing fish, if it is a Kissing Gourami they can get 10 inches in size. the fish would not even be able to turn around. just sayin.
    New Post should be rather simple. click on the "Aquirium Fish Forum" Tab at the top of the page. then decide what sub-forum your new post will go under. for instance, "Freshwater Beginner". once you have decided on the Sub-forum click on that and you should see a tab in the upper left corner that says "New Thread". your good to go. good luck and by the way, WELCOME TO FISHLORE, hope you enjoy the site.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

14. OP
    OP
    W

Thank you for helping me i am trying to get e 55 gl

15. s

skjl47 Valued Member Member

Hello; I have to go along with the notion that you have fairly heavy stocking density. Until you can get a larger tank or reduce the stocking density, the water conditions will require fairly regular work. Frequent water changes will help and also being very careful to not over feed. Any dead fish or other excess organic matter can upset the water quality very quickly from the process of decay.
    While not a fix, some extra filtration or air bubblers can also help.
    Good luck

16. Disc61

that is good to hear, good luck.

17. Mrs.Price

Indeed, a relief :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice