Tiger barb wrestle? Question 

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 20 gallon high. with one crawfish and one tiger barb and one goldfish. I know that TB's are school fish so I removed the goldie and bought 5 more TBs.
after acclimating the new five TBs, I set them loose inside the tank. The first TB that I own seemed anxious when it saw the newly arrived 5 TB's. It remained hidden in the stones or keeps distance from the group. After a couple of minutes it joined the school.
But when everything seemed fine.. two tiger barbs started fighting each other. they kept swimming around and around each other trying to nip each others sides, sometimes the go mouth to mouth which looked like theyre kissing each other.
1.Are they mating or are they trying kill each other.
2.Do tiger barbs fight over a female Tiger barb?

What actually is happening here?

The fish master 123456

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
they are just either fighting over dominance (who would be the leader of the group). or they are fighting over who will get a mate.

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks! I hope its for a mate cause while they are busy fighting for a girl.. my first Tiger Barb is the one sneeking to court the girl.. without them knowing cause they are busy fighting.
I think I have 2 females and 4 males. I wasn't so sure yet cause the other TB's have a faint red coloring on their noses. That confuses me if its a male or a female. Well the other two female have no red coloring on the nose so I guess I am sure they are females.

mike

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, red noses are males, and yes they were fighting for dominance. There is always a king of the tank, and the crown gets passed around. This is normal TB behavior. WHen the males begin to mature, the females will be continually harassed. If you can, I would take back one of the males and get a big female.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads