Tiger barb with no tail

1. mrtickle0_0 Initiate Member

Hi
    Could someone please give me some advice on what to do with a tiger barb that has had its tail nipped right to the bone,it has no tail fin what so ever.
    This is the second one that has been mutilated in this way by its own kind, i originally had 8 barbs and 4 odesa barbs,now i have 6 healthy barbs and 1 very unhappy barb.The previous tiger barb was humanly put to sleep by myself and i am reluctant to do this again the fish is in another tank and the tigers left in my main tank are fin nipping another fish having read lots of advice and listened to my local fish suppliers about keeping them in shoals of 6 or more to help with their fin nipping nature i cant understand why they are so destructive on one another??

Regards mark.
    110l
    All parameters are 0
    ph 7.5
    temp 24.5
    25% to 50% water change weekly tank 6months old
    N2 cycle fish less 33 days
    6 tiger barbs that are healthy 4 odesa barbs

2. fbn Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

You may not need to put the fish down. I know someone with a fish that has no fin, but it has lived for around 2 years and it is still going!

3. mrtickle0_0 Initiate Member

Hi
    And thanks for the swift reply the fish is eating and seems happier on its own will keep the fish as long as is humanly possible,but still need to sort the other tigers out before the do it again,any suggestions??

4. deon junior Member Member

i have a zebra danio that has no tail and he has been happy for the last year that i have had him

5. deon junior Member Member

also tiger barbs are crazy and im not sure what you could do.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

That's something that happens pretty regularly in my experience. I have rehabbed fish only to have them nipped and beaten up all over again. I now euthanize the fish once I think it's struggling. When the fish has become the target of their aggression, it's the beginning of what can be a very long and drawn out end.

7. mrtickle0_0 Initiate Member

Hi all
    Thanks for the welcome to the forum.
    The fish is doing as well as it can at the moment but i dont think i am doing it any favours by keeping it alive will give it 24hrs and then decide what to do.Thanks for all the advice..

8. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, once they become the center of agression it becomes a consistent problem for most. good luck.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I have to agree with Jaysee, reintroduction may lead to more damage or death. With tigers its pretty lose lose once they get beat up/

10. cameronpalte Member Member

I'd say try to help them and help it, but if you can't do anything and it continues to get beat up then euthanize it (but hopefully you don't need to do this).

11. mrtickle0_0 Initiate Member

I have had to do the right thing by the fish not nice and im a little beat up at the mo:(

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My school of 15 has dwindled to 3. I've tried several times to build it back up, but unsuccessfully. Honestly, if you are not happy about all this, I would suggest swapping them out for another species.