Tiger Barb Vertical Swimming (video)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Igor95, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Igor95

Igor95 Well Known Member Member

The leader of the school of barbs is a female, she's the biggest in the tank and has dropped eggs before. Vertical swimming is normal when they sleep, but the past few days she's been doing it during the day for 5-10 seconds randomly, almost as if she's falling asleep mid swim. Also some erratic swimming, and her color fades a bit. She's active and swims away if I come to the tank, and eats just like she always does. She seems healthy, but is this some sort of breeding/pregnancy behavior?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

Im pretty sure this is some form of breeding behavior. Obviously, if she is constantly like this thats an issue, but i think this signals to other fish she is ready to breed.

3. OP
    OP
    Igor95

I forgot to mention that there's also some erratic swimming randomly, and loss of her color

4. Iridium_2256

Hmm, that could be a sign of something else. What do the water parameters look like?

5. OP
    OP
    Igor95

I did about a 30% wc today, didn't test the water. I can test the water tomorrow since the tank isn't home. The water shouldn't be a problem though. I do roughly a 20% wc every 4-7 days. Also cleaned the filter today. I'm just really hoping it's not flukes. I've had these guys for 1 1/2 years now

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  6. Iridium_2256

I'm still not convinced its something wrong. How about putting her in a QT for a few days, just to make sure. Because she won't be near the males either, she should stop exhibiting that behavior if it is for breeding.

7. OP
    OP
    Igor95

I have 13 candy tetras in the QT and 12 rummynose tetras on the way for QT. Really bad timing to say the least. I only have a 20g qt and 75g main. I guess I'll just keep an eye out. I'll update if anything

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I think there is something wrong.
    Looks a bit like there is an infection or so.

9. OP
    OP
    Igor95

@DoubleDutch, the tank isn't home, long story short I just visited the tank, and she's staying still like the other barbs and starts slowly doing a headstand, then goes to normal and all over again. I'm guessing its a swim bladder problem. I'll feed boiled peas for 2 days, then I'll medicate. Never dealt with swim bladder problem before, what are the meds, if any? Thank you in advance

10. OP
    OP
    Igor95

Well, she didn't make it. I bought Kanaplex with 1 day shipping, was doing 100% water changes daily. Not sure what killed her, the stress of being alone after 1 1/2 years or the disease

11. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Yeah, that's called swim bladder disorder if I'm not mistaken.

12. OP
    OP
    Igor95

She also developed Septicemia. She was swimming normal in the QT and not vertical like the main tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice