Tiger barb tank mates

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 29 gallon that already has seven glofish white skirt tetras. I recently bought a tiger barb without putting any thought into it. The barb is still tiny as of right now and I’ve read they can become aggressive. Does this barb need it’s own school or will it school with the white skirt glo tetras?

Best Answer - View Nataku's answer

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tiger barbs need to be in a school, and they won't school with other fish. The other issue is tiger barbs and white skirt tetras can be nippy and semi-aggressive, so I can't imagine a school of both of them working in a 29 gallon. It would be like two war turfs.

My recommendation would be to take the tiger barb back, but that's just me.

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes he needs more. And this is just my personal opinion but I wouldn’t do a school of tiger barbs and tetras in a 29 g.
They are extremely active fish. I have a group of currently 13 in my 75 g and they use the whole tank. Their only tank mates are 6 Queen loaches.
I would personally return the lone tiger barb.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A school of Tiger Barbs typically spend their time harmlessly chasing each other around the tank.
Minus a school, a solo Tiger Barb will likely turn his hyper activity towards more fagile tankmates, often with negative results.
Be a good idea to buy five or six more baby TB's. I predict you'll find them a lot more active & entertaining than the Tetras.
Skirt Tetras are pretty tough & might hold their own with the Barbs, but probably a better idea to either have a total TB community or a Tetra Community.

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A201 said:
A school of Tiger Barbs typically spend their time harmlessly chasing each other around the tank.
Minus a school, a solo Tiger Barb will likely turn his hyper activity towards more fagile tankmates, often with negative results.
Be a good idea to buy five or six more baby TB's. I predict you'll find them a lot more active & entertaining than the Tetras.
Skirt Tetras are pretty tough & might hold their own with the Barbs, but probably a better idea to either have a total TB community or a Tetra Community.
is it worth giving it a shot and seeing how things turn out? I’d hate to take away this barbs quality of life. I may take the barb back and get another glofish skirt tetr. The barbs are cool looking though! Any other fish that resembles them and will be a good fit with the glow tetras?

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tpane27 said:
is it worth giving it a shot and seeing how things turn out? I’d hate to take away this barbs quality of life. I may take the barb back and get another glofish skirt tetr. The barbs are cool looking though! Any other fish that resembles them and will be a good fit with the glow tetras?
His and or other tank mates quality of life will be further diminished if you only have 1 tiger barb. Imo, I'd never put tiger barbs in a small tank. Like the above mentioned, they will utilize an entire tank. 29g isn't very much tank for them to roam.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know Glo fish are popular & not to mention really expensive, but IMO Barbs in general are a better choice. Most species are very colorful, extremely active, disease resistant, tightly school & are relatively inexpensive.
There's no emergency. Things will probably be okay in your situation.
I snapped a couple of pics of the Barb community I'm currently putting together.
20200706_090131.jpg
20200706_090012.jpg

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They need to be in schools of at least 6 of themselves, they can be nippy, so no long fins. And they are very fast fish and might out-compete other fish for food.

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you! I will be taking the barb back. I would start another tank somewhere else bc they are cool looking but idt I have the right spot for them. Any good suggestion on fish? I may have a stocked tank anyways. I have 7 glo skirts, 5 Corydoras, 2 african dwarf frogs and 1 Molly. My tank has a fluval filter up to 60 gallons, sponge filter on the other side and an air stone that’s long and skinny. Not to mention weekly 50% water changes

Anyone know if a shark could live in there or if could possibly be aggressive? I was reading they can live by themselves

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
I wouldn't put any kind of shark in.
[/QUOTE
Ok thank you. Do you think my tank is stocked or could I add another glo tetra or even a loach
I wouldn't put any kind of shark in. (Most) Get to 6 inches.
Ok thank you. Do you think my tank is stocked or could I add another glo tetra or even a loach

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You could put another few glo tetras. But I would not suggest a school of loaches.

Sorry, NOT suggest.

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could put another few glo tetras. But I would not suggest a school of loaches.
The tetras are the white skirt/black widow ones. You don’t think that’s too many?

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think 10 would be just fine, though I am not very educated on ADF, I don't know if they have big biolodes.

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I could do another Molly and tetra. This would give the Molly another at least. My current Molly is a female and tends to go after my other fish sometimes. I’ve often thought about taking her back even though it’s been months.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tpane27 said:
Thank you! I will be taking the barb back. I would start another tank somewhere else bc they are cool looking but idt I have the right spot for them. Any good suggestion on fish? I may have a stocked tank anyways. I have 7 glo skirts, 5 Corydoras, 2 african dwarf frogs and 1 Molly. My tank has a fluval filter up to 60 gallons, sponge filter on the other side and an air stone that’s long and skinny. Not to mention weekly 50% water changes
If this is your stock in a 29 gallon you are already fully stocked. At best, you could add one or two more skirt tetras and one or two more of the same species of corydoras. But otherwise you are fully stocked already, you don't have room for another school.
All of the various 'shark'species get much too big for a 29. Also it has been my experience that red tailed sharks and rainbow sharks both will pick on and bite frogs, and over time kill them. So definitely wouldn't mix those even in a larger tank.

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nataku said:
If this is your stock in a 29 gallon you are already fully stocked. At best, you could add one or two more skirt tetras and one or two more of the same species of corydoras. But otherwise you are fully stocked already, you don't have room for another school.
All of the various 'shark'species get much too big for a 29. Also it has been my experience that red tailed sharks and rainbow sharks both will pick on and bite frogs, and over time kill them. So definitely wouldn't mix those even in a larger tank.
Alright, i will take the barb back and possibly get one more tetra then call it a day

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 9 tiger barbs in a 55 with 8 gold barbs, 6 cherry barbs, 3 three spot gourami and a red tailed black shark.

The tiger barbs and gold barbs just swin around and mess with eachother, the only real aggression out of the tank is the shark, he will chase everything around like a maniac lol.

But to answer your question, keep the tiger barbs in at least a school of 7 or 8, they will keep to themselves in my experience .

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tpane27 said:

Anyone know if a shark could live in there or if could possibly be aggressive? I was reading they can live by themselves
Didn’t realize you had AFDs. Then I definitely wouldn’t do Tiger barbs. They are gregarious busy bodies and will probably pick at the poor ADFs.
I tried to keep ramshorn snails in my tank. It wasn’t the loaches that tormented the snails, it was the tiger barbs. :eek:
And as mentioned, most loaches are extremely social and I’ve read reports of a single loach becoming aggressive.

OP
T

Tpane27

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Slight update: I took the barb back and got a new red minor tetra. From my understanding this tetra will school with my glofish/black skirt tetras. Is this correct? I looked up info before I purchased and read they should school, any other suggestions?

New Threads