Tiger Barb Tank Mate Suggestions

CJ3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 30 gallon with currently only 5 tiger barbs, moderately planted. I would love some suggestions for further stocking. I have a Aquaclear 70. Tank is cycled.

My thoughts in addition to my current barbs:
3 green barbs
6 strebai cory (if LFS has them)
1 bolivian ram (maybe 2?)
1 gourami (maybe opaline)---reading conflicting info on gouramis with tigers. alternate suggestions appreciated if many think no to gourami.

Thanks in advance. This is my first time with tiger barbs and I love them. They are so fun to watch.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only thing you can add is more tiger barbs. The cories and gourami will get chased and nipped at. You can add around 10-15 more tiger barbs by themselves.
edit: add 5 at a time. so, like 5 one week, then the next week add another 5 more. doesn't matter the color

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The cories may be fine with the barbs, if you have enough of them. I'd go with a species other than Sterbai though, there are species with more temp overlap.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

CJ3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks! 36x12x16height. Just got back with 3 green tiger barbs. I keep the tank at 76’. I’ve had panda Cory’s in the past...maybe go with those again.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd lower the temps to 74 - 75

Since the tank is a little short, reducing the swimming room for the barbs, they may bother the cories.

CJ3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok thanks! What about a show fish....any possibilities? I do like the tigers and the thought of just adding a few more isn’t completely out of the question but was hoping for a bit more variety.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could do a smaller cichlid but one that can still hold it's own, like a rainbow cichlid or a firemouth. The problem with tiger barbs in a small tank like this is that you're pretty limited on stocking.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom