Tiger Barb Stocking

Scretiree47

Member
My new tank is a Fluval Vista 23g (87L) It is 30 L x 12 W x 18 H.
How many Tiger Barbs can I put in this tank?
 

Trashboat

Member
5-6 I would say
 

darkcat

Member
Nvm.
 

Trashboat

Member
darkcat said:
Maybe about 15 - 20?
15-20 is quite a lot each tiger barb gets to around 2 inches so using the rule of thumb 1 inch of fish per gallon that would mean comfortably stocking it with around 11 tiger barbs, I was under the impression that you wanted other fish but if you just want tiger barbs in your aquarium 10-12 would be adequate
 

darkcat

Member
Trashboat said:
15-20 is quite a lot each tiger barb gets to around 2 inches so using the rule of thumb 1 inch of fish per gallon that would mean comfortably stocking it with around 11 tiger barbs, I was under the impression that you wanted other fish but if you just want tiger barbs in your aquarium 10-12 would be adequate
... Okay, but the inch per gallon, you shouldn't trust. 7 - 10 would be fine. About 8 imo.
 

Trashboat

Member
I mean you can put 20 tiger barbs in a 23gallon tank if you want, your just going to have to do more water changes since your nitrate will be going up fast but I personally wouldn't recommend it
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Hi, personally I don't think the tank size is suitable for Tiger Barbs. Keeping a larger group with less males is necessary to keep them from killing each other. In smaller groups they seem to nip each other too much.
You're looking at at least a 36" aquarium but ideally bigger to keep a minimum group of 10 or so.
Of course there are exceptions to this kallililly1973 has/had? a wonderful 29 gallon that was very heavily planted(which I think played a vital part of why his work so well) with a large group of I think 9 or so.
 

The2dCour

Member
My barbs are much happier (and in a larger group) since I moved them from the 20 to the 40. They can live in a 20ish tank but I would not recommend it as all it takes is 1 incessant bully to make the tank a nightmare for all the others.
 
  • Thread Starter

Scretiree47

Member
darkcat said:
... Okay, but the inch per gallon, you shouldn't trust. 7 - 10 would be fine. About 8 imo.
Everything I have read indicates adult Tiger Barbs are 2.5 to 3 inches plus other sites/owners recommend 3 Gal per Tiger Barb simply because they are larger and active in all levels of the water column. They need plenty of swimming space. I agree, the 1 inch per gallon rule is a good rule of thumb but not to be depended on as gospel. Remember surface area, very important for oxygen exchange. One inch of fish for every twelve square inches of surface area.
We have been considering 7 but wanted to Get some expert advice before proceeding.
 

darkcat

Member
Sure!
 
  • Thread Starter

Scretiree47

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, personally I don't think the tank size is suitable for Tiger Barbs. Keeping a larger group with less males is necessary to keep them from killing each other. In smaller groups they seem to nip each other too much.
You're looking at at least a 36" aquarium but ideally bigger to keep a minimum group of 10 or so.
Of course there are exceptions to this kallililly1973 has/had? a wonderful 29 gallon that was very heavily planted(which I think played a vital part of why his work so well) with a large group of I think 9 or so.
That makes a lot of sense and we have read that elsewhere. Thanks for the response. I think we are going with either the Red Serpae Tetra or Zebra Danios.
 

Trashboat

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, personally I don't think the tank size is suitable for Tiger Barbs. Keeping a larger group with less males is necessary to keep them from killing each other. In smaller groups they seem to nip each other too much.
You're looking at at least a 36" aquarium but ideally bigger to keep a minimum group of 10 or so.
Of course there are exceptions to this kallililly1973 has/had? a wonderful 29 gallon that was very heavily planted(which I think played a vital part of why his work so well) with a large group of I think 9 or so.
Do you think a ratio of 2:1 female to male is best because I am planning on buying a group of 10 or so tiger barbs
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Scretiree47 said:
That makes a lot of sense and we have read that elsewhere. Thanks for the response. I think we are going with either the Red Serpae Tetra or Zebra Danios.
I think that would be better, both are lovely looking fish. Serpae again are best in a larger group.
Trashboat said:
Do you think a ratio of 2:1 female to male is best because I am planning on buying a group of 10 or so tiger barbs
Something like that should be good. Avoid having over 3 males in that group.
 
  • Thread Starter

Scretiree47

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I think that would be better, both are lovely looking fish. Serpae again are best in a larger group.

Something like that should be good. Avoid having over 3 males in that group.
Thanks, Tiger Barbs are off the list.
 

kallililly1973

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, personally I don't think the tank size is suitable for Tiger Barbs. Keeping a larger group with less males is necessary to keep them from killing each other. In smaller groups they seem to nip each other too much.
You're looking at at least a 36" aquarium but ideally bigger to keep a minimum group of 10 or so.
Of course there are exceptions to this kallililly1973 has/had? a wonderful 29 gallon that was very heavily planted(which I think played a vital part of why his work so well) with a large group of I think 9 or so.
Thanks for the mention. Great news recently. Currently had 10 in the 29 and was doing a WC and out pops a baby tiger so now the count is 11. He/She had to be about 2 weeks old when we found her n she has grown a little bit and has become much braver coming out with the big silver dollar size tigers that have been in there for the past 1.5-2 years. Was very exciting to find and woulda never ever expected to see a baby tiger emerge from the heavy plants.
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
kallililly1973 said:
Thanks for the mention. Great news recently. Currently had 10 in the 29 and was doing a WC and out pops a baby tiger so now the count is 11. He/She had to be about 2 weeks old when we found her n she has grown a little bit and has become much braver coming out with the big silver dollar size tigers that have been in there for the past 1.5-2 years. Was very exciting to find and woulda never ever expected to see a baby tiger emerge from the heavy plants.
Wow, what a surprise Haha. Very cool.
 

kallililly1973

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Wow, what a surprise Haha. Very cool.
Yes it was an amazing discovery. He/She is already pretty comfortable swimming around the big guys n girls!!
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Wow, what a surprise Haha. Very cool.
Sorry for the double post but her is a pic of the new Lil addition
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom