tiger barb problem please help!

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I messed up big time with my tiger barb and I need a lot of help! I got nine tiger barbs 8 babys and 1 adult big mistake all eight babys died and now I have the one adult thinking he needed a tank mate tiger barbs were really expensive at that store so I got a rainbow shark and the guy told me they were a community fish so I got him BIG mistaske he was chasing him around left and right I felt so bad he has part of his tail ripped off not from the shark though from the barbs that died so feeling bad today I got 4 tiger barbs
BIIIIIIIIIIIIG adults for back up well it didnt help that poor little guy cause it wasn't enough with the rainbow shark chasing him and nipping him now the 4 tiger barbs are nipping and chasing him too. I'm a begginer so I have know idea what to do I feel so bad for that liitle guy always getting picked on and its all my fault he just sits there by the heater to scared to go anywere else please help!

Kunsthure

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Deep breath, my friend. Do you have a hospital or quarantine tank you could move him to? If not, get a breeder's net (not box!) or tank divider from the pet store so he can be safe away from the others. They're going after him because he's weak, so you have to get him strong and healthy again. Once you get him separated, use Stress Coat, Melafix, Vita Chem if you can find it, and soak his food in garlic juice to boost his immune system (buy a jar of minced or chopped garlic at the grocery store, just make sure it's packed in water and not oil, then pour a little bit out and add his food to it). Up your water changes to every other day because pristine water is key in healing.

Another option is to return the new tiger barbs and get the little guy healthy before getting new barbs again. If you go that route, rearrange the deco so the old territories no longer exist.

I see that you started the tank last week. How did you cycle it? If you just added fish without doing a fishless cycle or using seeded media, you'll need to do daily water changes with Prime or Amquel+ until you have 0ppm of ammonia and nitrite and some nitrates. I can't remember if I already to you this.

I would return the shark. It needs a 55 gallon so it'll have enough territory.

-Lisa

OP
J

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
is there any chance that they will let him in the school even with the damaged tail because I did notice he was swimming by them a little and they didnt attack him they didnt really mind him being there really is that a good sign?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've kept tiger barbs for a long time and it is common for them to take out one of their own. Weak or injured fish are often ejected from the school and starved/bullied to death. I usually euthanize once the fish is separated from the school.

OP
J

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok what ive noticed is that one of the 4 fish would go swim with the little guy and then come back and then a different one would go and swim with him for a while I think this is going to get better (sounds like an interview to me haha)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope that's the case and that they're not taking turns harassing the fish.

OP
J

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the good news is though that the rainbow shark isn't bothering anybody ive just seen him chase the 4 fish a couple of times but that's it

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
I've kept tiger barbs for a long time and it is common for them to take out one of their own. Weak or injured fish are often ejected from the school and starved/bullied to death. I usually euthanize once the fish is separated from the school.
+1

Keep in mind, also, that these fish are extremely stressed because they are in an uncycled tank. Tiger barbs are an aggressive species anyway, but they may become even more so while they are under this stress.

If I were you, I would not purchase any more fish at this time. And yeah, you should return the shark. My rainbow is in a 46 and, although happy and healthy, I would like to get a 55 for him and his tank mates.

OP
J

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tiger barb in trouble

I have a 30 gallon tank there's a rainbow shark and 5 tiger barbs 3 regular 3 green and at first I had tiger barbs and then they died and one was left so I got him a tank mate turns out the rainbow shark wasn't very niceso I got more tiger barbs and now the tiger barbs are nipping him as well I feel so bad and I don't have a lot of money so I don't know what to do do I get more barbs do I get different spieces in the tank I have no idea what to do. he doesn't really have a tail anymore and now there going for the outside fins it doesn't look like hes having trouble swimming but I wouldnt be suprised he does down the road if hes alive down the road I feel so bad for him can someone please help cause I don't know what to do the pet store won't want him and I just can't flush a living fish even if hes in misery I just cant

tyspot1000

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well jordan u can put a divider in the tank so that they won't mess with him. and u should of asked before u got more cuase that gives an advantage to the tigers. it is the sharks nature to chase. here is the other thing u can do, if u have a local owned pet store bring him there, but if u want him just get a divider in the tank. maybe once his tail grows back get him some caves and itroduce him back to the tigerbarbs. hope this help. I also have a rainbow in my 30 gallon .

OP
J

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you so much for your help I do want to keep him he was my first fish will his tail grow back on its own and when I get the divider how much space do I give him?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to respectfully disagree about the divider. A rainbow shark will be very cramped in a 30 gallon tank. Mine is in a 46 and really should be in a 55. They need room to move. They do not go after other fish unless the other fish bother them first.

Tiger barbs are very aggressive fish and do go after their own species, sometimes to the point of killing them, and also after other fish. Tiger barbs, in my opinion, do best in a species only tank.

I'm not sure I understand how many tiger barbs you have left. Do not have them in a school of less than 6. Preferably 8 or more. This may calm their aggressive nature some.

I also don't quite understand who is getting nipped so badly. The shark? One of the barbs? Please try to use complete sentences when you type instead of pretty much all your text blended together. It'll make it easier for us to help you.

Your biggest problem right now is that you do not have a cycled tank. And the fish you got to help cycle it were a poor choice. What are your tank readings right now and what else are you using, if anything, to help cycle this tank? Fish behavior will be very "off" when in poor water parameters.

Do NOT buy any more fish until your tank is completely cycled.

Edited to add: You received wonderful advice about the shark, about your stocking, about your uncycled tank, in this thread:

I'm not sure why you started a new thread that's basically going to go down the same path. It makes it very frustrating for those of us trying to help you understand that you're on a road to disaster here.

OP
J

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't understand why people keep telling me that I cycled my tank wrong its fine all the fish seem to be ok I did everything I was told to do the nitrates fine and so is everything else by the way its the barb who is getting picked on I was asking if I should get more barbs since I have a small school and was asking if they would stop picking on him if I did or would they just pick on him too. and I asked 2 different questions and people just go back to the cycling thing

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jordan said:
thank you so much for your help I do want to keep him he was my first fish will his tail grow back on its own and when I get the divider how much space do I give him?
The fins can grow back. If it's down to the base, it may not though.

I also agree that the divider is a bad idea, for many reasons which I would be happy to tell you, if you wanted to know. However, if you were to use a divider, I think you would need to divide the tank in half. If you don't give the shark enough room, there's a good chance it won't get better. If you don't give the tiger barbs enough room, they'll kill each other. Dividing it in half makes both sides equally miserable.

I think the responsible thing to do would be to euthanize the fish, since you cannot return it. You can nurse it back to health and then release it back into the tank. I don't know why you would expect the outcome to be any different than it was this time. If fact, by that time the TBs will be bigger and more mature.

When you buy an animal you are resonsible for every aspect of it's life. Sometimes that includes it's death. Sometimes we luck out and they die on their own. I understand how you can't bear to do it, but if the fish is suffering and in misery.....it's the responsible thing to do.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jordan said:
I don't understand why people keep telling me that I cycled my tank wrong its fine all the fish seem to be ok I did everything I was told to do the nitrates fine and so is everything else by the way ... and I asked 2 different questions and people just go back to the cycling thing
Your fish are not ok. They are getting ripped apart. People "go back to the cycling thing" because your aquarium info indicates that you started this tank last week. Thus, unless you used filter media from an established tank, it's highly doubtful that it is cycled. Since an uncycled tank can create unstable personalities in your fish, and your fish are attacking each other, it does tie together. Do you understand?

There is rarely one simple yes or no answer to any question posed here.

OP
J

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know it seems kind of harsh to flush him I have noticed the bullying has died down a liitle are they doing this because there schools not big enough if so do I get more tiger barbs or would that just make things worse for the tiger barb with no tail

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jordan said:
I just can't flush a living fish even if hes in misery I just cant
Welcome to FL.
I'm sorry, I tried to read your posts, but without use of punctuation and capitalization, I can't seem to get through it. I'm not sure what the issue is, since I can't understand your typing, but the above did catch my eye. Please don't flush a living fish. This is not considered humane. If you are considering euthanasia, please read this:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/humane-method-of-euthanasia-for-sick-fish.48332/

Clove oil is available at health food stories, and behind the counter at some pharmacies. If you are a child, please ask your parents to help you get some.

OP
J

Jordan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
theyre not attacking each other all fish go after the injured/ill fish and he was injured even before I got the shark the barb doesn't fight back or anything all fish do that well at least the aggresive ones do

and I'm not going to kill my fish that's for sure

Merged back to back posts.
Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jordan said:
and I'm not going to kill my fish that's for sure
Oh, okay. I just saw that you had mentioned flushing it and thought I'd give you an alternative. Good luck to you.