Tiger Barb Pregnant

Mmow77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I recently bought 2 tiger barbs to add to my existing school, and they are much fatter than the others. I was just wondering if they are carrying eggs or if it could be sick even? It is also swimming a little funny and isn’t very active.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They look like they have had too much to eat for fa too long making them chesty.

OP
M

Mmow77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
They look like they have had too much to eat for fa too long making them chesty.
Oh really, so not likely that they are pregnant?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If they are egg heavy (which their body shape doesn't suggest that) the term is gravid (since they are egg layers), but I do not believe they are egg heavy - however if they are female and around males they will get egg laden over time if they are mature enough to breed and possibly spawn for you (they will look wider when viewed from above, males will keep their sleeker shape).

OP
M

Mmow77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks very much for your insight! On another note, I have looked up how to tell which barbs are male and female but am having trouble. Would you have any idea what sex some of the barbs are in the photo?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mmow77 said:
Thanks very much for your insight! On another note, I have looked up how to tell which barbs are male and female but am having trouble. Would you have any idea what sex some of the barbs are in the photo?
I would not be the best for that, I could guess but even with 50/50 shot I'd likely get half wrong. Barbs and tetras are a little harder to sex if they haven't been eating egg enrichening foods.

New Threads