Tiger barb nipping

Logansmith

My barbs (2) have almost completely nipped off the tails of a molly and a guppy in a matter of a few days. Help what do I do? I have a 20 gallon

Yeoy

Are any of these fish new to your tank? Tiger barbs generally do better in larger groups where they have enough activity to keep their aggression contained within their school. However they're notorious for fin-nipping, especially long and flowing tails/fins like guppies. If the barbs are new, I'd probably look at rehoming/returning them and getting something more peaceful like a tetra to go alongside your livebearers.

Upvote 0

Logansmith

Are any of these fish new to your tank? Tiger barbs generally do better in larger groups where they have enough activity to keep their aggression contained within their school. However they're notorious for fin-nipping, especially long and flowing tails/fins like guppies. If the barbs are new, I'd probably look at rehoming/returning them and getting something more peaceful like a tetra to go alongside your livebearers.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Basil

Yes, unfortunately, tiger barbs do better in both a larger group and a larger tank. Actually, pretty much all barbs prefer a decent sized group.

Upvote 0

Dobert

f the barbs are new, I'd probably look at rehoming/returning them and getting something more peaceful like a tetra to go alongside your livebearers.

I second this idea. They will be nipping, tiger barbs are know for that and better be kept alone or with fish that can stand for themselves (other barbs?)

Upvote 0

RayClem

A 20 gallon tank is too small for a small group of tiger barbs. I love the appearance of tiger barbs, but I have given up on keeping them due to their nipping tendency. If put with any fish with long fins (guppies, mollies, bettas, angelfish), they will nip, especially if kept in small numbers (fewer than 6-8).

About the only barbs suitable for a 20 gallon tank would be cherry barbs. They are a lot smaller than tiger barbs, so you could keep 6-8 in your tank.

Tetras are similar to the barbs in that they tend to do better in groups. Some tetras like bleeding heart tetras get to big to keep 6-8 in a 20 gallon tank, but the slender bodied tetras like Ember tetras, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, penguin tetras, glowlight tetras, head and tail light tetras would be ideal. Do not make the mistake of getting black skirt tetras (or the Glofish counterparts) as they can be just as bad about nipping as tiger barbs.

Upvote 0

ForceTen

In my tank I have 12 fully grown tiger barbs. Its a 40 gallon breeder and would not consider anything else in there.
Not only do they nip, they continue to nip until the fish is dead. It is until then would they leave it alone, dead on the bottom or stuck to my intake tube.
I love tigers, but when their time has come, I will move to a more peaceful community aquarium.
The advantage to this tiger setup is they are extremely resilient and they are very vigorous.
It takes very little care with tigers. They are one tough fish. Great for the beginner.

Upvote 0

Logansmith

In my tank I have 12 fully grown tiger barbs. Its a 40 gallon breeder and would not consider anything else in there.
Not only do they nip, they continue to nip until the fish is dead. It is until then would they leave it alone, dead on the bottom or stuck to my intake tube.
I love tigers, but when their time has come, I will move to a more peaceful community aquarium.
The advantage to this tiger setup is they are extremely resilient and they are very vigorous.
It takes very little care with tigers. They are one tough fish. Great for the beginner.
The strange thing is is have other Mollies and long dinner fish and they don’t bother them.

Upvote 0

Dobert

In my tank I have 12 fully grown tiger barbs.

Hi ForceTen, you have no other fish there? I was wondering if mixing tiger barbs with some bigger type of corys could work

Upvote 0

ForceTen

Hi ForceTen, you have no other fish there? I was wondering if mixing tiger barbs with some bigger type of corys could work
No just the barbs. I'm afraid to experiment. I saw what they did to a 8" pleco that inhabited the tank for years before them. They killed him within two days. And they were babies back then.
Others have told me I could have some other fish and I would love that. But no way I test these killers out......lol
Hello Dobert.

Upvote 0

FishDin

That's why I've never kept Tiger Barbs, though they would be nice in a species tank.

I keep Golden Dwarf Barbs in one of my community tanks because they are peaceful and not fin nippers and I like their look. They are nano fish, so you could put a large group in a 20gal.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ShorKie
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views