Tiger Barb nipped fin

1. ailvin Initiate Member

can a nipped fin grow back???

and no i haven't encounter a nipped fin before with my 70 barb.. i just saw a picture of it...
    and i haven't encounter any aggression on my tank....:;f:;fb:;fg:;fr

2. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Nipped fins will grow back just fine :p :)
    Unless there was serious trauma to the body of the fish.
    P.S. Welcome to Fishlore :)

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Normally, yes, if treated properly.
    First, it's important to find out the cause and stop the nipping.

Is your tank cycled? What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Usually pristine water to prevent infection, some extra Stress Coat, Garlic Guard and Vita Chem will help the regrowth of the fins.

If you could fill in your aquarium info (found under My Settings at the top left) it'll help the members by knowing about your tank without having to ask a bunch of questions.
    This way more accurate suggestions can be made.

Thank you! I hope things improve.

Edit: From your other thread:
    Imo, you have way too many barbs in your tank. Reducing the amount of fish in your tank may help ease the aggression that come with over crowding especially with fin nippers like barbs.

4. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

70 Barbs in a 90 gallon tank.... that changes things a little tiny bit...

5. ailvin Initiate Member

actually i haven't encounter the nipped fin problem i just ask if it will grow back^_^

I'm sorry i didn't make it quite clear to you guys....
    my barb are getting along fine. and they all swim as a school i just saw a picture of a fin nipped tiger barb and i felt really sorry.. poor fish..

anyway does fin rot heal too? and grow back to normal?

6. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

if water is pristeen then yes, it will most likely grow back, unless it has damage to the body of the fish like this:
    [​IMG]
    check the bottom, see how it goes all the way into the muscle? in a case like this the chances of the fish rebuilding the fin is very poor.

Also, i dont want to be rude, but just because things are working "ok" in your tank for now doesnt mean its gonna work forever. I assume the fish are still young, but once they start growing problems will start arising...

7. ailvin Initiate Member

actually i bought them as an adult already.... and yes you right it won't be fin forever.. but as soon as i encountered any aggression.. ill post it quickly. thanks for all the info..

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

As soon as you see aggression, you'll post it quickly? I think you're likely to get the same advice we are already giving you - you have too many barbs in your 90 gallon tank. You should return some to the store or rehome them. :-\

9. ailvin Initiate Member

ouch that's rude..

my sister told me to add more 30 on it but i don't listen to her^_^
    cause i think 70 is enough for a 90g..

and i don't bought it on the same time i bought it partially 5 pcs each every other day..

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Ailvin. I'm sure Meenu did not mean to be rude and please don't take it that way. She's only pointing out the fact that your tank is overstocked and some of the fish you currently have in there should be rehoused to another tank or returning some to the fish store. She is only looking out for the well being of your tank and fish :)
    Best of luck! Keep us posted.
    Ken

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Good morning. No, I didn't mean to be rude. But to be honest, I do find it odd that you have 3 threads going at the same time where people are telling you that the number of fish you have together is a bad idea. And instead of taking the advice of the people here, you acknowledge that you see a future problem, and will ask for more advice from the same people you are now ignoring. I guess I'm not sure why you think our advice will change. Rather than rudeness, my intent was to convey my confusion.

Umm.. and thanks for not listening to your sister and adding 30 more.