Tiger Barb Injury recovery times? Question

1. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Hi,

I believe I have 4 Tiger Barbs still showing signs of injury from the Rainbow Shark I had (story here: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/tiger-barb/59753-breeding-tigers.html)

I've never had injured fish before, do they ever recover?

They all have either abrasions or what look like severe cuts on their side. The one mentioned in the link above has also since died. The ones with the most severe looking cut marks also have dim markings (their black stripes are pale).

Rainbow Shark was donated to local fish store.

Thanks,

Tim.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Tim.

Sorry to hear about your fish loss and wounded fish. Keeping your water as pristine as possible is crucial right now to help to prevent disease. I recommend a drop or two of garlic (can be from a jar of minced garlic from the grocery store) onto the fishes food. Garlic is an immune system booster for fish and humans too. Fresh garlic can be used. You can also add a drop or two into the tank itself. There is a product called Garlic Gard most fish stores carry.
    Vita Chem may also help. It's an all around vitamin for fish.

Best wishes!:;snow
    Ken

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

also with kens suggestions, daily partial water changes with some stress coat+ will do wonders..I hope they all make it!!!!!

4. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Thanks very much. :)

I've been feeding them Spectrum Thera+A which contains Garlic (they spend a long time nibling at it before it's gone as it's actually for my Violet Goby in my brackish tank and is too large for them to swallow whole) as I figured the ingredients would be helpful. Thanks for the great advice once again.

Tim

5. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Really annoyed I didn't see this happening sooner. :(

2 of the 4 died over night last night. Wondering if the healthy Barbs are picking on them at all? I don't have a tank I can Isolate them in unfortunately...

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear that you lost some of your fish Tim. It is a good possibility that the strong one's pick on the weak ones.
    Ken
    A link you may find helpful:
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup
    Ken

7. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

The third of four died yesterday... Took a long time to die. I wonder if I should have put it out of it's misery...

Today the Barbs have suddenly started swimming around again like they used to. I can really see a difference. Makes you wonder if there's a distress signal sent out when one has been attacked because it seems as soon as that last one died they all became much happier looking (the fourth of the four does not look to be in trouble). I guess if I had euthanized the four who looked bad, that fourth one wouldn't have been around to live.

8. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

Tiger barbs like to pick on the weak, they can be mean little fishies. I'm glad at least one of your hurt barbs was able to bounce back. In the future I would suggest if you don't have another tank to isolate a hurt fish in, maybe you could put the hurt fish in a breeder's tank (the kind that floats inside the main tank). That way the other fish can't get to the injured one. I did this for one of my barbs when I only had 3 and it worked out well for him.