Tiger Barb Help!

1. Jack hawk Initiate Member

My biggest tiger barb in a group of six is floating upside some times then breathing for air at the top!?
    All of my other barbs are fine it's just this one.

I have a 50 gallon that is a week in to the fish cycle using tetra safe start.

My para metres all read fine?

Thanks
    Jack

2. California L33 Well Known Member Member

Jack;

Wow, that doesn't sound good. Sorry you're having trouble.

Can you be a bit more specific?

What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? I know you said that parameters are all fine, but can you double check? The reason I suggest this is that you've said it's a new tank (and subject to rapid spikes), and fish at the surface gasping can be a sign of ammonia or nitrite toxicity, and though it seems odd, it can affect one fish at a time, starting with the weakest. Is there any red or reddish-brown coloring around his gills?

Is there anything in the tank other than the tiger barbs?

Jack;

One more thing, are you treating the water with Prime, and if so, how much are you using?

3. Jack hawk Initiate Member

I have treated the water with this. ee1a600bfb44baf77ac8191de2981cab.jpg

4. California L33 Well Known Member Member

Those aren't bad products, and that you used them is good, but it doesn't necessarily mean your tank is fully cycled- hence my question about double checking your parameters, especially ammonia and nitrite.

What's special about Seachem Prime is that it can protect your fish from ammonia and nitrite spikes during a fish in cycle when used every 24 to 48 hours. It doesn't eliminate them, so cycling still takes place, but converts them into forms which aren't toxic to fish.

One more question, are these new barbs right from the supplier?

5. Jack hawk Initiate Member

No from the pet shop

6. Daryl Member Member

Do you have a water test kit?

7. Jack hawk Initiate Member

Only the rest strips 5 in 1

8. Daryl Member Member

I started with 6 T Barbs, now only 5, one hung himself up in a plant while they were playing chase. Found him the next morning.

Dose it tell you about Ammonia , nitrite and Nitrate And pH ?

If so what are your readings

9. Jack hawk Initiate Member

Yes and the colours seem to be ok

10. Daryl Member Member

Also, is he floating upside down, or standing on his head,tailup?

How much Ammonia?

Also how long has the aquarium been running with fish in it?

11. California L33 Well Known Member Member

I know you're getting bombarded with questions, but this one is important- do your 5 in 1 test strips measure ammonia?

Ammonia is the first toxin a new tank will produce and you'll have to deal with, and the only 5 in 1 test strips I've seen don't measure it, so you need to be sure.

12. Jack hawk Initiate Member

No they dont

13. California L33 Well Known Member Member

If I understand correctly you've got a new tank, a fish gasping for air at the top, and you don't know what the ammonia level is.

If this is all true, you probably have an ammonia spike that will eventually harm your other fish, too. It's nothing to panic over.

You have two options-

-do a 60% water change now, get some ammonia test strips, and monitor the water, doing partial water changes whenever you get a spike until your nitrogen cycle starts.

-use Seachem Prime at levels high enough that your fish are no longer symptomatic, though never going above five times the suggested base decholorinating level- see the Prime bottle or website for details on how to use Prime to treat ammonia poisoning.

14. Jack hawk Initiate Member

Ok thank you

Would this be good

? 6b61c007991af76331935139dff5d10c.jpg

I think it might not be water quality related. All of the other ones are picking on him and nibbling at his fins?

15. Daryl Member Member

API tests for total Ammonia, free and "locked"(not harmful to your fishes gills. Seachem makes a kit that will test for Free Ammonia separately. If I could I would get that one. But, anything is better than nothing. Seachem also makes a "monitor" that sticks to the inside of your tank that cks free Ammonia. Well work the $ for me. Although it doesn't preclude regular testing, you can tell at a glance if something is going south on you.

16. California L33 Well Known Member Member

If he's gasping at the surface it's more likely a water quality issue, not guaranteed, just playing the odds. Yes, that kit would be fine. You could also put something like this in the tank, which might be easier for you- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seachem-Am...B000255R5G/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1504095781

17. Daryl Member Member

Yeah like that one California L33.

18. Jack hawk Initiate Member

How does it work?

19. Daryl Member Member

Go to Seachems website they explain it better than I can. It basically has a sensor pad on it that changes colors with increasing levels of Ammonia

20. IceFyre1414 Well Known Member Member

Some of those are defective though, mine changed a noncommittal colour when I added it to my tank and hasn't changed. Test kits are always the best option imo.
    Petsmarts usually offer free water testing if you have one near you. Granted, they use strips but they do test for ammonia.