Tiger Barb & Green Tiger Barb Behavior

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by Dandee, Apr 11, 2010.

1. DandeeNew MemberMember

I have only had these Tiger Barbs & Green Tiger Barbs (a school of 5) for a couple weeks. I have not seen them do this before. I caught this behavior last night and I'm not sure if they are fighting, playing, arguing, or what. They did this for about 1/2 an hour last night and have not done it again. Anyone have some ideas?

http://www.vimeo.com/10850785

2. abc123d30Well Known MemberMember

Looks like fighting to me. You might want to increase the size of their school a bit, it should help keep the fighting to a minimum.

Jaysee is the tiger barb expert around here though so he'll probably give you a better answer when he sees this thread ;)

3. DandeeNew MemberMember

Thanks.
    Someone else I know mentioned to me that he believes it was just two males sparring to decide the pecking order. They have been perfectly fine all together today. Neither of them were hurt last night at all. Just some lip locking.

4. abc123d30Well Known MemberMember

That could be very true as well. I'd say just monitor them closely and if they continue to be peaceful towards each other then there's not really a problem.
    Good luck!

5. MorgothNew MemberMember

You're exactly right, the Tiger Barbs are just establishing dominance. If you introduced the tiger barbs when they were very small, they will do this quite a bit as they all get bigger. One will stand out in the end as being the strongest and most powerful leader, and take that spot in their pecking order. I was confused when I first saw this behavior, but if you like keeping tiger barbs, you'll enjoy the moments when they dance for you.

It is amazing to see these tiny little fish dance like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQxhvqeVFqM

6. suewoodNew MemberMember

Sorry I know this is an oldish post but I have just seen my 2 green barbs doing the exact same thing - had the green ones in for a few weeks now along with some tigers and an albino barb from a few months ago - one of the tiger barbs came over to split it up and then was following one of the green ones round the tank! Now one of the green ones are sulking in the corner!! I wonder if the one that seperated them is the alpha barb??? He keeps floating with his nose down and his colouring is a shade lighter then the rest - which i've read (and hope) is normal behaviour. All parameters are fine - just checked them.
    Very funny to watch tho! Love these barbs!
    xxx

7. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

I just noticed my Black Ruby's "dancing" the other day. It was quite the spectacle to watch!

8. suewoodNew MemberMember

Very jealous of you! Hubby and I are always on the look out for some black rubys and Odessas!! Barbs are great fun to watch - tho they are big bullies at times! Natural instinct though so I'll let them off!

9. 1hawaii50Valued MemberMember

My Odessa's are my favorite fish right now. When I brought them all home, they were all a solid silver color...almost like an oversized minnow. Within a few days of being in the tank, they colored right up. They are a really beautiful fish!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice