Tiger Barb Got His Mouth Bitten Off (Pic)

1. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

We're not sure how this happened, but we're terribly sad about this. Toby has so much personality, I think it was our Bichir that got him during feeding time. Is there any hope for him at all? I don't want to lose him, but I don't want him to be in pain either. Any advice would be gladly taken.

DZnMCJq.jpg

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Awwh poor little guy :( can he eat? If he can the other important issue is infection, and the fact that he will get bullied by the fish again. Do you have a QT tank?

3. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

Yeah we'll try to get him into our QT tank. See if he can eat or maybe have a peaceful way to pass. My heart is so heavy right now.

4. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry :( I hope whatever happens is for the best and that everything goes as smooth as possible for you and Toby. Keep us posted

5. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

I put him in the QT, he's not in good shape. His entire mouth was ripped off. He's swimming strong right now, and fighting, but he can't eat food, and it looks grim. I know I need to put him down, but I am having a lot of trouble with that right now....

I also don't want him to suffer and die of starvation...I don't know what to do..

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

7. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

Well I made a very hard decision, in fact I believe the tears are still running down my face. I had to say goodbye to my little buddy Toby. What a fighter, he tried so hard to deal with the wound, but it was far too grievous to let him try any longer. No matter how much I wanted him to live, that would not of regrown him a new mouth...

I went with the most humane way I could find available, and said goodbye to Toby. I'm heartbroken, and realize how much my fish mean to me. They're the friends who comfort you after a long day, simply by gliding in front of you and calming you down and easing day to day stress.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:(
    Sometimes the hardest thing we have to do for our pets is the best.