Tiger Barb ---- Fat Or Over-fed Or Pregnant? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kirajack, Apr 11, 2018.

1. KirajackNew MemberMember

Is my Tiger Barb really Fat or Over-fed or Pregnant ?!!

Size is about - Total Length 5 to 6 cm including tail

I dont know the age. But I'm having this fish for about 8 to 9 months in a 20galloon tank (5 tiger barbs)

377660-ce7f7fde464ae45b1372b267bb69fd7d.jpg
    377661-d42742a59930452aafc16a78e5d21720.jpg
    377662-3915d5e35728eaec6b5316093fb1be71.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. Pictusboss

PictusbossValued MemberMember

looks more like he is just overfed. Did you feed him right before taking that pic?

3. OP
    OP
    K

KirajackNew MemberMember

Yes. I took the picture after feeding (about 1 hour). Mostly I feed my fishes freeze dried blood worms. Because they love it so much

4. Pictusboss

PictusbossValued MemberMember

then he could have just been eating a a lot. if it isn't gone by tomorrow morning, it must be something else like pregnency.

5. OP
    OP
    K

KirajackNew MemberMember

Thanks for the info. I agree that the fish is just over-fed. Because it loves blood worms and eats much.

Also that tiger barb looks more like a female. Not having much reddish colored nose, Round body and fat belly.

However, I'm not into breeding yet. So I'm not going to do anything with that fish.

6. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

You really shouldn't be feeding blood worms all the time. They are great for conditioning a fish for breeding but a steady diet of them will cause what you are seeing right now ... fat fish. I am sure they love 'em but it would be like us eating nothing but dessert for every meal. May taste good and we might love it but it wouldn't be a healthy diet.

7. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

Freeze dried food is not the best choice nutritionally for your fish. I would look into some good pellets as the staple and only feed the FD bloodworms as an occasional treat. You can look into frozen bloodworms or other foods if you like feeding that type of food as a treat as well. They are better than freeze dried.

8. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth MNew MemberMember

I have some fish with bellies just like that. My bigger one, Thor, has quite the little curve but its been like that her whole life with me. I feed mine a very small pinch of flakes a few times a day, so I don't know if it's over feeding. But I think your fish is fine. Maybe don't chill on the food for a bit and see what happens?

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

A fat bit overfed gravid female to me.
    Throw in some cooked lettuce / spinach now and then for their "green" needs.
    Keeps tgem busy as well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice