Tiger Barb Dual Bullying Loaches

a8h4f7c2

I recently got a 60 gal tank and stocked it with 8 tiger barbs (2 red, 4 green, 2 regular) and 3 dojo loaches. The 2 regular barbs are terrorizing my loaches! They seek out the larger loach (4”) and only bother my 2 little golden loaches (1-1/2“) when they emerge from hiding. I read that schools of 8 or more would keep them from bothering other species of fish. How do I make them stop? Since my poor 4” loach is bigger than them, he can’t hide anywhere that they can’t also fit.

WRWAquarium

Hmmm I would of thought in a tank that big there would be no issues between tiger barbs and loahes.

Can you take a pic of the tank? Just thinking if there's very little decor/plants for the loaches to use as refuge.

Only other thing I can think is that the different color variants of the barbs aren't schooling together?

My knowledge is they mix together and in fish store tanks they do... However I haven't put this in practice in a large tank with the numbers you have.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I suggest 12 or more tiger barbs to avoid squabbles with other species but I am still a little surprised to here that they are bothering the loaches. Do they bother each other that you notice? Clown loaches and tiger barbs will interact with each other, and sort of play fight together. I wonder if they are trying to get the dojos to play with them? I dont know, that is just a crazy thought.

Upvote 0

Redshark1

Its well known that Tiger Barbs are aggressive and can nip other fish so its no surprise to me having read thousands of posts about this issue.

There are no rules where nipping or not nipping is concerned its all about potential which is always there so its best avoided.

I'd like to know what Loaches you have (scientific name) as there are 1,250 known species.

Upvote 0

a8h4f7c2

Hmmm I would of thought in a tank that big there would be no issues between tiger barbs and loahes.

Can you take a pic of the tank? Just thinking if there's very little decor/plants for the loaches to use as refuge.

Only other thing I can think is that the different color variants of the barbs aren't schooling together?

My knowledge is they mix together and in fish store tanks they do... However I haven't put this in practice in a large tank with the numbers you have.

2C3DFC5B-60D6-4F2A-9E3D-AFD8CAC99BBC.jpeg
I thought I supplied them sufficient places to hide, but I just read they like cave style hiding places.
I suggest 12 or more tiger barbs to avoid squabbles with other species but I am still a little surprised to here that they are bothering the loaches. Do they bother each other that you notice? Clown loaches and tiger barbs will interact with each other, and sort of play fight together. I wonder if they are trying to get the dojos to play with them? I dont know, that is just a crazy thought.
I read that too many barbs will cause a civil war. Lol So I went with 8. The 2 regular barbs chase the colored barbs around as well.
Its well known that Tiger Barbs are aggressive and can nip other fish so its no surprise to me having read thousands of posts about this issue.

There are no rules where nipping or not nipping is concerned its all about potential which is always there so its best avoided.

I'd like to know what Loaches you have (scientific name) as there are 1,250 known species.
I read in multiple places that tiger barbs will leave other fish alone if kept in schools greater than 6-8. Less than 6 and they will be aggressive towards other species in the tank. The dojo’s I have are Misgurnus anguillicaudatus.

Upvote 0

A201

The OP's tank looks quite bare. Adding & strategically stacking, adequately sized rocks or pieces of driftwood should provide enough cover & concealment for the Loaches, solving the Barb aggression problem.

Upvote 0

a8h4f7c2

The OP's tank looks quite bare. Adding & strategically stacking, adequately sized rocks or pieces of driftwood should provide enough cover & concealment for the Loaches, solving the Barb aggression problem.
I have driftwood coming from Amazon today. I will go buy more items to provide cover this evening.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I have created height in my own tank by balancing slate rock slabs on sturdy, stable, glass candlesticks, then I put a decoration on top of that, and silk plants in front of that, so there is places to hide on the bottom for my loaches, and places to explore on top.

"I read in multiple places that tiger barbs will leave other fish alone if kept in schools greater than 6-8. Less than 6 and they will be aggressive towards other species in the tank." Less then 6 is not a school, any schooling fish could turn aggressive when they are not in a school of at least 6, but six is a bare minimum, its is always better to strive for more than minimum. I am saying this because I would not trust anything this article said if it said that. But even this says "greater than 8." I suggest 12 as a minimum for tiger barbs.

Upvote 0

Wayne73

Yes get yourself more decor and at least another 6 to 8 tiger barbs of a similar size to you already have. The aggression should then dissipate amongst themselves. I kept 20 in a 55gallon with cardinals an had no issues. But their some occasions where you will get a really rogue tiger barb which becomes obsessed with nipping and chasing. If that does become a case re home that bad apple. I had 5 platinum blue tiger barbs in with the standard barbs an had no issues with schooling together.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jakers20
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Pandora9209
Replies