Hi, new to this site.

Ph- 7.8
    Ammonia- 0.25
    Nitrite- 0.2
    Temp-80 degree F
    cycled over 6 weeks with tetra safe start
    10% water change weekly
    25% monthly
    foods; Frozen Brine Shrimp and spectrum Thera every other day. ( one or the other , never together )

6 barbs ( small )
    3 Black mollies
    2 Bala Sharks
    2 Algae Eaters

No problems with barbs or other fish until noticing one barb loosing its color, the black is faded. The barb's swimming pattern is not normal. it swims quickly up to the top of the water and then he floats for a second as if it just died, then it swims around like normal.

Been searching around this forum for this topic but no conclusion. Please help and Thanks in advance. No pictures yet because i need to find the right setting on my camera. ???

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello kahunakaki. Hope you're doing well and Welcome to Fish Lore. You're fish may be experiencing ammonia poisoning with a level of 0.25. Any amount of ammonia in your tank can be fatal if not corrected.

I would suggest doing daily 30 to 50% water changes and add some Prime or Amquel + (chemical of your choice) to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for your next water change. Keep up with your daily water changes until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. (note: should you use Amquel + you may still get positive readings for ammonia but it won't be toxic for these 24 hours.)

Best of luck! I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.
    Please keep us posted.
    Ken

3. kahunakai Initiate Member

Thx aquarist48 - I will give that a try, hopefully my ammonia level will decrease. :)

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Also, bala sharks will get far too big for a 30G tank, so you may need to find them a new home