Tiger Barb and Red Ruby fight !!!!!:'(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by I love my puffer, Aug 6, 2014.

1. I love my puffer

I love my pufferValued MemberMember

:;hi2Hi everyone!!!
    so a bit of an issue here, I just fed my 10 gal community tank frozen brine shrimp for the first time .
    my 10 gal includes one rare pink albino African clawed frog(lollipop) a tiger barb( tigger) and a red ruby something(coral). Well a few minutes after cleaning out the brine remains they were going CRAZY nipping each others fins!!! I thought they would kill themselves. Well i just put my tigger in a 1 gal quarantin because it looks like his fins a nipped! He's got a little castle, some fake water grass and clean water w gravel. What should I do??????? He needs to be in bigger quarters because He is VERY active. Right now he's hiding in the little castle!! Replies are greatly appreciated!!

I love my puffer

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

The problem here is the barbs are shoaling fish & should be kept in groups of 6+ & need a much bigger tank.
    Tiger barbs especially are very feisty & need a large group to bicker amongst themselves & imo should be kept in a species only tank, I'm surprised it hasn't picked on the frog yet.
    I'd either think about getting a bigger tank & upping the numbers of both barbs or rehoming them

3. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Ok:) it's just wired though because they used to be really close and would swim and play together while they were eating flakes and were just fine, but after feeding this new. Food they nipped bad. It died down a bit and there both very young. Is there any way they might be able to pull through?? I can't upgrade for a while and I care about them soo much.....

4. aHumanBeing

aHumanBeingWell Known MemberMember

+1 on the need for more barbs. I currently have 8 in my 36 gallon and with a larger number they will spread the aggression. Most of the time they are great but need to chase each other...it's just in their nature. Also a 10 Gallon will be too small for lots of barbs, they are VERY active and fast swimmers. You may not see the aggression decrease very much unless they are in a larger tank.

As for the injuries: if you don't have a quarantine you will need to either change water very frequently. Or add something like Kordon Fish protector or Vitachem to help regenerate the fins quickly. But definitely keep that water pristine to help regenerate the nipped fins. Barbs are super sensitive to injuries despite the face that they are masochists lol.

5. Coradee

Tbh if they're young & starting to fight the aggression will get worse as they get bigger as they have no space to get away from each other

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Agree, tiger barbs are really fast and active swimmers. As they will get older there will be more aggression

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Ok thank you everyone.:) I'm kind on a money stretch. Does anyone know wher I can get a good tank for them CHEAP??? Also they are two different types of barbs, can I mix bot kinds in a school( like 4 of each?)

Thanks a bunch!!

8. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

You can try Craigslist. They have some pretty good deals on tanks

9. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Ok. Would a 20 for Mabey 6work?

10. aHumanBeing

You could probably get by with a 20 but make sure it is the Long variety. If you get the 20 G Tall then it's essentially the same as a 10 but taller. The 20 long will get them more space to swim as opposed to just going up and down. Also make sure there are lots of plants or fake plants so the barbs can hide. My Barbs use the plants and caves all the time to dodge each other :)

11. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Awesome! Thanks. Can I mix both types of tigers though?

12. Bob Ellis

Bob EllisValued MemberMember

A 20 tall or high is a bit bigger footprint than a 10, just to clarify.

A 10 is 20x10 footprint.

20 tall/high and 15 gallon tanks are both 24x12 footprint.

13. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

I wil be freeing up my 20 long soon as my 2 columbian sharks will be moving into a temporary 50 gallon:) now about mixing types?????

14. Coradee

You can mix tiger barbs with green or albinos as they're the same fish, I wouldn't mix the Ruby's with them though

15. aHumanBeing

ah woops, don't know what I was thinking.

here we go.

Tank Size L x W x H Empty Weight Filled Weight
    20 gallon High 24" x 12" x 16" 25 lbs 225 lbs
    20 gallon Long 30" x 12" x 12" 25 lbs 225 lbs

16. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Ok thank you all!:)

17. MamajinWell Known MemberMember

When you first get fish from the pet store nine times out of ten they're juveniles. As fish mature and become adults in your tank they begin to have a desire to establish territory., so this is why things may seem fine one day and go completely haywire the next.

Tiger Barbs are not intended for a community tank. Community tanks should contain peaceful fish... Tiger Barbs are a semi aggressive fish. Generally you're not supposed to mix fish types like that, but some very experienced aquarists have done so because they're using very large tanks with a lot of decorations to break up that line of sight.

Another thing to note about Tiger Barbs is that not only do they require at minimum a 30 gallon tank, they also require to be in groups of no less than 6 of their own kind. If you don't stick to that rule you will have a very aggressive Tiger Barb on your hands. Because of their nature, the more Tiger Barbs you have the more calm they will be. They'll still be somewhat aggressive, just not as much.

Tiger Barbs were my very first fish and I found them to be truly amazing and quite fun to watch. In my opinion an ideal Tiger Barb tank would be a species only 46G Bowfront tank with roughly 15 to 18 Tiger Barbs.... some Albino, some Green, and some regular.

18. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Thank you for your feedback! I will upgrade ASAP. What should I do with the ruby barb?????

19. MamajinWell Known MemberMember

You can either rehome him in a 15G with 5 more ruby barbs, or donate him back to the pet store. Honestly it's going to depend on your funds. A cheaper way to do it would be to upgrade to a 15G with a group of 6 ruby barbs and donate the tiger to the pet store. You can do more with a community tank I think, since the ruby barb does so nicely with other peaceful fish.

If you have the funds, Id go ahead and feed the inevitable MTS and do two new tanks to separate the fish.

20. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Okay:) I'll update and tell you what I do:)

We'll also I have a 20 gal, hopefully it will free up in a couple weeks as I am saving to upgrade my 2 Colombian sharks Mabey I'll buy a 15 gal, buy 5 tigers and put them there until my 20 is freed up, then I transfer them into the 20 put 5 more ruby in 15, and my frog will live in the ten? One question- will both species of barbs be able to live in those tanks for their whole lifespan?????? I will try to get the 15 within the week. Tigger will have to stick the 1 gal quarantine out for a few more days:(

Thanks
    i love my puffer

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice