Tidal Filters

Tanks and Plants

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
415
Location
Honolulu
Experience
4 years
I have the 55 and I really like it! The only thing is that the filters are BIG! I use my Tidal 55 on my 33 gallon (Long) and I really like everything about the filter. The only other "bad" thing I would say is that it's almost too good for itself. Meaning that it cleans so well that the way I have my media set up I have to rinse some of it every couple of days. BUT that's due to me using a homemade food that gets the water kinda dirty.
Other than don't over stuff the media basket then you shouldn't get any bypass. At least I don't, or I should say I don't get bypass when the media is not clogged.
 

Ferretlady

Active Member
Member
Messages
164
Reaction score
180
Location
Central Florida
Experience
3 years
I have the 55 also, on my 29 gallon tank. I just got it very recently, so I have only used it for a very short time but so far, I really like it! There was plenty of room in the media basket to put what I wanted, and it is *quiet*!! It seems to have some nice features, feels very sturdy & well-built, and I *really* like the fact that it is self-priming -- that was a very important factor to me I truly feel confident I made the right choice in selecting my filter
 

hcda24

New Member
Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Lexington, KY
Experience
1 year
I had the Tidal on a 60 gallon and to be honest I love SeaChem and use them for all chemicals/filtration/etc, but the Tidal filter is not one of their best products. I added their Carbon and Purigen go it and the water bypass became unbearable to the point where I had to run it at half speed just to prevent it. I ended up returning it and biting the bullet on buying a canister filter. Such a better choice. Amazon is a great place to get one for a great price too.
 

Ferretlady

Active Member
Member
Messages
164
Reaction score
180
Location
Central Florida
Experience
3 years
hcda24 said:
I had the Tidal on a 60 gallon and to be honest I love SeaChem and use them for all chemicals/filtration/etc, but the Tidal filter is not one of their best products. I added their Carbon and Purigen go it and the water bypass became unbearable to the point where I had to run it at half speed just to prevent it. I ended up returning it and biting the bullet on buying a canister filter. Such a better choice. Amazon is a great place to get one for a great price too.
I'm really glad you found a filter you're happy with!!!

I wonder if maybe there are just a few faulty ones out there, or possibly a bit of tweaking Seachem needs to do on the larger models? I recall seeing one Youtube review (on the larger model), in which the guy mentioned the same thing about the overflow (on the larger model). (Though I did see other videos where people were happy with theirs & didn't have any problems. It's quite odd!!!) I finally decide to get it - since Seachem does seem to have a good guarantee on it, and it seemed that most people were happy with it.

I have to say, I am still thrilled with my Tidal 55!! The first week I had it, I'd added a decent amount of their carbon & a purigen pack to it, and had also added a bit more Matrix to the bag of Matrix included with the filter. I specifically watched (and re-checked on several occasions) to see if there was any overflow issue at all at top speed & it was perfectly fine! At present, I've removed the purigen & carbon, since I'm trying to get my cycle started, but I added some extra (sponge/floss?) & it's still doing great at top speed. Once my tank is fully cycled, I'll probably add the Purigen back in at least. I'm really sorry that you had such problems with yours!

But I truly am glad that you found a filter that you love! I've heard a lot of good things about canisters - but my present set-up doesn't really allow for that, and my tank is small enough for HOBs to be sufficient.
 

hcda24

New Member
Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Lexington, KY
Experience
1 year
Ferretlady said:
I'm really glad you found a filter you're happy with!!!

I wonder if maybe there are just a few faulty ones out there, or possibly a bit of tweaking Seachem needs to do on the larger models? I recall seeing one Youtube review (on the larger model), in which the guy mentioned the same thing about the overflow (on the larger model). (Though I did see other videos where people were happy with theirs & didn't have any problems. It's quite odd!!!) I finally decide to get it - since Seachem does seem to have a good guarantee on it, and it seemed that most people were happy with it.

I have to say, I am still thrilled with my Tidal 55!! The first week I had it, I'd added a decent amount of their carbon & a purigen pack to it, and had also added a bit more Matrix to the bag of Matrix included with the filter. I specifically watched (and re-checked on several occasions) to see if there was any overflow issue at all at top speed & it was perfectly fine! At present, I've removed the purigen & carbon, since I'm trying to get my cycle started, but I added some extra (sponge/floss?) & it's still doing great at top speed. Once my tank is fully cycled, I'll probably add the Purigen back in at least. I'm really sorry that you had such problems with yours!

But I truly am glad that you found a filter that you love! I've heard a lot of good things about canisters - but my present set-up doesn't really allow for that, and my tank is small enough for HOBs to be sufficient.
I think you must be right, the larger ones are not fully utile. Glad yours works good, Seachem really makes great products.
 

barandemir09

Active Member
Member
Messages
446
Reaction score
67
Location
Australia
hcda24 said:
I think you must be right, the larger ones are not fully utile. Glad yours works good, Seachem really makes great products.
What do you mean the larger ones.. I'm planing on either the 75 or the 110, so which would be a better option for this overflow problem on a 30-40gallon, still deciding on the size. And I'm going to turn down the flow a lot on the 110 since I heard that when at full blast, the filters make some noise
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
166
Guests online
3,144
Total visitors
3,310

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom