Throwing Some Ideas Around.

1. Jolty

Jolty Initiate Member

Hello! Please excuse me if these are silly questions. I'm very new to the aquarium hobby, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Currently I only have a 3.6 gallon shrimp tank with two (male) mystery snails. I'm interested in getting a second tank so I can have more snails and a female betta fish.

I'm looking at getting a 10 gallon tank right now, but I'm also wondering--
    Would a 5 gallon be too small for a female betta with snails? I know people shove them into much smaller containers, but I also know that's mean. :p

I'm also wondering about tank mates. If I put red cherry shrimp in the tank, is she likely to gorge herself on them and develop bloat, or does that just come from overfeeding processed food?

2. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Betta are very much individuals. I would assume the shrimp would be a snack. Some Bettas even attack the eye stalks of mystery snails. And some Bbettas are totally peaceful.

3. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

The females don't have the big fins to slow them down so a 10 is preferred. Some people have had good success keeping shrimp with a betta as they had lots of hiding places on the bottom. I haven't, they ate my ghost shrimp although i dont know which ones did it.

5. OP
    OP
    Jolty

Jolty Initiate Member

The tank would be planted.