ThriveC or easy green?

Do you like thriveC or easy green more?

• ThriveC

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Easy green

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RayClem

Thrive C and Easy Green are both All-in-One fertilizers containing both macronutrients and micronutrients. I have not tried comparing their ingredient list.

Every aquarium will be different in their nutrient needs depending upon types of plants, type of water, lighting, etc. Generally, this type of fertilizer is designed to add more nutrients with the expectation that you will use frequent, large water changes to remove excess nutrients.

The other way of fertilization is to use a fertilizer that contains micronutrients and then add nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium separately as needed. That is the system offered by the Seachem Flourish line. They have Flourish Comprehensive that contains micronutrients and then Flourish Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. I use Brightwell Flourin Multi as my micronutrients, but I use the Flourish Nitrogen and Potassium as needed based on plant appearance. Most tanks get more than enough phosphorus from water and fish foods, so I do not add that.

SotaAquatics

I have used both, honestly can't say I have noticed a difference from one to the other in growth.

Pfrozen

Easy Green is a lot more concentrated and very well balanced. Thrive C is lacking in N and P, though it has a bit more than Thrive S. I also don't like how Thrive C contains glut as I would rather dose that as needed

SotaAquatics

Thrive C is lacking in N and P, though it has a bit more than Thrive S.
When you say P - you mean K right for Potassium? Phosphate (P) is higher in Thrive then in easy green. But yes, Nitrogen and Potassium are double in Easy Green vs Thrive.

I am curious on this as I don't know, and don't seem to be able to find any actual numbers on this. How do these different percent's of water soluble NPK convert to PPM? Thrive is lacking relative to Easy Green, but is it lacking to what your aquarium actually needs? If 2x weekly dose of Thrive still gets you to the NPK PPMs that you need for healthy aquarium growth then its not lacking for our purposes. It's like saying you should take 400% vitamin C a day vs 800%. You can only use so much... as long as you are hitting the base amount needed, rest is just wasted and taken out/diluted during your weekly water change.

Edit: some additional info on this as far as the ppm goes I found on 2hr as well as EI recommended amounts. I still don't know how to convert a % soluble NPK to ppm though. https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/fertilize-planted-tank/how-to-read-fertiliser-labels
Analysis of the Estimative Index (EI) nutrient dosing approach

Pfrozen

When you say P - you mean K right for Potassium? Phosphate (P) is higher in Thrive then in easy green. But yes, Nitrogen and Potassium are double in Easy Green vs Thrive.

I am curious on this as I don't know, and don't seem to be able to find any actual numbers on this. How do these different percent's of water soluble NPK convert to PPM? Thrive is lacking relative to Easy Green, but is it lacking to what your aquarium actually needs? If 2x weekly dose of Thrive still gets you to the NPK PPMs that you need for healthy aquarium growth then its not lacking for our purposes. It's like saying you should take 400% vitamin C a day vs 800%. You can only use so much... as long as you are hitting the base amount needed, rest is just wasted and taken out/diluted during your weekly water change.

Edit: some additional info on this as far as the ppm goes I found on 2hr as well as EI recommended amounts. I still don't know how to convert a % soluble NPK to ppm though. https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/fertilize-planted-tank/how-to-read-fertiliser-labels
Analysis of the Estimative Index (EI) nutrient dosing approach

Seems I got a bit mixed up... I just checked the guaranteed analysis of both though... Easy Green has more N and K

When I use Thrive products my plants all end up with pinholes and nitrogen deficiencies... when I use Easy Green I don't have that problem

Your mileage may vary I guess

Mudminnow

I think the safe answer is that it depends.

Thrive C includes a "non-glut-based bio-available" carbon source. Opinions on this vary as to how effective/good this is. I personally have no idea. I've used Thrive C in a low light, low tech tank, and it seemed to work fine for me.

I've experimented a bit more with Easy-Green. It also seems to work just fine. Out of curiosity, I more than tripled the recommended dose for some time in one of my heavily planted, high tech tanks. It didn't cause any issues. In fact, the plants just seemed happier. So, in my opinion, it's perhaps a little lean for some tanks too, but still good.

I've not done any analysis on this or anything, but just from observations, I'd say Easy-Green is a more "middle of the road" fertilizer. Thrive C seems lighter...perhaps better for those low light, anubias and java fern dominated type tanks. And, regular Thrive seems a bit richer...perhaps better for a higher light tank, like maybe a Dutch style tank or something. Then again, you might get any to work for any type tank if you stray from the recommended dosing. As I see it, the "bio-active" carbon in Thrive C is the only real wild card.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Monkeypoint
  • Question
Replies
Views
JLDJ
  • Question
Replies
Views