Thrive Shrimp Specific Vs. Regular Thrive

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know much about planted tanks, but i am trying.

Currently i have two tanks. One is a 15 gallon tank with cherry shrimp, the other is a 15 gallon tank with a betta and two nerites. I have similar plants in each tank. Anubias coffeefila, java ferns, tiger lotus, vals, some swords that don't do great. I would like to use the same fertilizer for both tanks. Right now i have Seachem Flourish, but learned that it doesn't dose macros. I am looking at Thrive all in one liquid. They have one that is shrimp specific, and one that is not. The main difference seems to be that the shrimp one doesn't have copper, and basically has less of everything. The shrimp one is designed for smaller water changes, whereas the regular all in one is designed for large weekly water changes. I do about 10% weekly for my shrimp tank, and 30-50% weekly in the betta tank.

Would it be better for me to get the shrimp one, and dose more on the betta tank, or get the all-in-one and dose less in the shrimp tank? It seems like a better deal to buy the all-in-one since they are about the same price.

All in one:
Guaranteed Analysis Total Nitrogen(N)...................2.56% 2.56% Water Soluble Nitrogen(N) Available Phosphate(P2O5).......1.58% Soluble Potash(K2O)..................9.74% Magnesium(Mg)...........................0.32% 0.32% Water Soluble Magnesium(Mg) Calcium(Ca)..................................0.02% Sulfur(S).......................................0.54% 0.54% Combined Sulfur(S) Boron(B)......................................0.008% Copper(Cu)..................................0.0002% 0.0002% Water Soluble Copper(Cu) Iron(Fe)........................................0.42% 0.42% Water Soluble Iron(Fe) Manganese(Mn)..........................0.168% 0.168% Water Soluble Manganese(Mn) Molybdenum(Mo)........................0.0006% Zinc(Zn).......................................0.0038% 0.0038% Water Soluble Zinc(Zn) Derived From: Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, DTPA Iron, EDTA Iron, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Molybdate. Information regarding the heavy metal content of this product can be found at www.aapfco.org/metals

Shrimp specific:
Guaranteed Analysis Total Nitrogen(N)...................0.43% 0.43% Water Soluble Nitrogen(N) Available Phosphate(P2O5).......0.14% Soluble Potash(K2O)..................5.5% Magnesium(Mg)...........................0.32% 0.32% Water Soluble Magnesium(Mg) Calcium(Ca)..................................0.03% Sulfur(S).......................................0.76% 0.76% Combined Sulfur(S) Boron(B)......................................0.008% Iron(Fe)........................................0.38% 0.38% Water Soluble Iron(Fe) Manganese(Mn)..........................0.168% 0.168% Water Soluble Manganese(Mn) Molybdenum(Mo)........................0.0006% Zinc(Zn).......................................0.0036% 0.0036% Water Soluble Zinc(Zn) Derived From- Derived From: Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, DTPA Iron, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Molybdate. Information regarding the heavy metal content of this product can be found at www.aapfco.org/metals

Stoka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The amount of copper in Flourish and Thrive is very, very small. I dose Seachem Flourish, Excel, and Equilibrium in the recommended amounts in all my planted tanks. 15 to 20% water changes weekly. My painted Fire Cherry shrimp, orange Rili, amanos, bamboo, ghosties, and green babaulties are all thriving/breeding. I feed 5 or 6 different foods and some also have trace amounts of copper. Again, no problems. My personal take is that as long as you avoid medications with copper (large amounts) you will be ok.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stoka said:
The amount of copper in Flourish and Thrive is very, very small. I dose Seachem Flourish, Excel, and Equilibrium in the recommended amounts in all my planted tanks. 15 to 20% water changes weekly. My painted Fire Cherry shrimp, orange Rili, amanos, bamboo, ghosties, and green babaulties are all thriving/breeding. I feed 5 or 6 different foods and some also have trace amounts of copper. Again, no problems. My personal take is that as long as you avoid medications with copper (large amounts) you will be ok.
Yeah, i’m more looking at what will give my plants what they need. Does equilibrium have macros in it?

Stoka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, just calcium, manganese, magnesium, and potassium. I’ve never needed macros but then my tanks are heavily stocked and heavily fed.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree with your thinking that regular Thrive will be a better deal. You can definitely does less for shrimp, which I do.
The top 3 elements in equilibrium are secondary macros, and raise GH. I have to use a GH booster in addition to Thrive because my water is very soft. I use Nilocg's GH booster just because it can be combined in shipping when you order Thrive, and is cheaper than equilibrium dollar per pound.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
-Mak- said:
I agree with your thinking that regular Thrive will be a better deal. You can definitely does less for shrimp, which I do.
The top 3 elements in equilibrium are secondary macros, and raise GH. I have to use a GH booster in addition to Thrive because my water is very soft. I use Nilocg's GH booster just because it can be combined in shipping when you order Thrive, and is cheaper than equilibrium dollar per pound.
How much and how often do you dose for shrimp? It looks like some of the nutrients are way less (about 1/5 as much nitrogen) but some are about the same. I keep reading that figuring out what fertilizers your tanks need is something you just have to figure out, but i am definitely afraid of overdosing and hurting my critters or causing algae. Any guidelines would be massively appreciated!

Stoka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing I don’t like about Thrive is that it has chelated iron which has far less bioavailability in tanks with a pH above 7. Seachem Flourish Iron has ferrous gluconate which doesn’t have that problem. I dose every few weeks and my red plants have really responded.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stoka said:
The only thing I don’t like about Thrive is that it has chelated iron which has far less bioavailability in tanks with a pH above 7. Seachem Flourish Iron has ferrous gluconate which doesn’t have that problem. I dose every few weeks and my red plants have really responded.
So maybe i need to look into getting an iron specific fertilizer as well... One step at a time!

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jellibeen said:
How much and how often do you dose for shrimp? It looks like some of the nutrients are way less (about 1/5 as much nitrogen) but some are about the same. I keep reading that figuring out what fertilizers your tanks need is something you just have to figure out, but i am definitely afraid of overdosing and hurting my critters or causing algae. Any guidelines would be massively appreciated!
I dose 3 times a week, but did some math so that the total over the entire week is equal to dosing only twice a week. I just like to spread out my dosing a bit more.
I hope that makes sense, for example if I were to dose twice a week as according to instructions I would need 1 mL total. I just guesstimate to 0.3 mL three times a week.
In the end it's only a little less than regular dosing, sometimes I don't really pay much attention to dosing less. It doesn't harm the shrimp.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
-Mak- said:
I dose 3 times a week, but did some math so that the total over the entire week is equal to dosing only twice a week. I just like to spread out my dosing a bit more.
I hope that makes sense, for example if I were to dose twice a week as according to instructions I would need 1 mL total. I just guesstimate to 0.3 mL three times a week.
In the end it's only a little less than regular dosing, sometimes I don't really pay much attention to dosing less. It doesn't harm the shrimp.[/QUOTE/]

That makes sense! i think i will get some and try it out. I will probably start with less than that since my tank is lightly planted and i use root tabs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom