Thrive and water changes

Yamamoto1659

Reaction score
Hi,

About 7 days ago, i started dosing my 20G with Thrive S. I dose about 3 times per week at 75% of the recommended dosage. Reason being is that i was told that this raises the Nitrate levels in the water and a 50% water change will be needed weekly. And since i dont want to put my fish or shrimp on a weekly stress schedule, i've decided to do smaller doses (understanding that the downside being less positive results to the plants), and less aggressive water changes. I dont have any complicated plants or anything (java fern & anubias)

I was wondering if this makes sense ? And could i just monitor my nitrate levels and perform my water changes according to this ?or is there some other reason i need to do 50% water changes ?

It should also be noted that im using a daily dose of Excel.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Did the bottle come with dosing instructions?

50% a week is the traditional advice for EI dosing. ThriveS is not an EI fert. The EI ferts in the Thrive line would be mostly regular Thrive and Thrive+.
ThriveS is the weakest fert out of the whole line. ThriveS has 1/3 the nitrogen of ThriveC (aimed at low tech), 1/6 the nitrogen of Thrive, and 1/7 the nitrogen of Thrive+. ThriveS, on their website, says "Dose is 1 pump per 5g, 1-3x per week. Continue with normal water change routine, monitor nutrient levels and alter dosing amounts as needed."

So I think it's safe to say that 50% would be excessive based on this fertilizer, though some people do that much for their fish regardless of plants :)

OP
Yamamoto1659

Yamamoto1659

Reaction score
Yep, you have the dosing numbers correct. 1 pump per 5 gallons up to 3x per week.

So i guess dosing at 75% (3 out of 4 pumps), 3x per week makes sense and i'll just monitor the water parameters. Specifically nitrates more frequently.

Interesting that the shrimp version has such a low nitrogen count. I thought it was just a copper free version. Should i compensate by using a Nitrogen specific product on the side ? I just want to make sure my shrimp are safe.

Thanks for the speedy response !

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yamamoto1659 said:
Yep, you have the dosing numbers correct. 1 pump per 5 gallons up to 3x per week.

So i guess dosing at 75% (3 out of 4 pumps), 3x per week makes sense and i'll just monitor the water parameters. Specifically nitrates more frequently.

Interesting that the shrimp version has such a low nitrogen count. I thought it was just a copper free version. Should i compensate by using a Nitrogen specific product on the side ? I just want to make sure my shrimp are safe.

Thanks for the speedy response !
I don't think you do, because you have two very slow growing plants, so their nutrient demand is low. Copper in the amounts present in fertilizers don't hurt inverts, you could always get something stronger if you heavily plant later on!

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use Thrive-C and even if I only dose once a week at about 70% of the recommended dose, i end up with more than 40 ppm of nitrates.

My fish are doing fine with it so I don’t worry anymore. I‘ve always done a 50% water change and I do it about every 10-15 days.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dechi said:
I use Thrive-C and even if I only dose once a week at about 70% of the recommended dose, i end up with more than 40 ppm of nitrates.

My fish are doing fine with it so I don’t worry anymore. I‘ve always done a 50% water change and I do it about every 10-15 days.
I would look into other causes. Regular Thrive only adds 6 ppm per dose, and ThriveC has half the nitrogen of regular

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The whole point of Thrive S is to be able to does fertilizers and not change your water change habits from what you were doing before starting ferts. In my experience, the nitrate will still increase a little. I’m changing 15% on my 10 gallon tank weekly and dosing two pumps once a week. My nitrate ends up being 30-40, so I’m not going to twice weekly. My plants seem to be doing just fine though.

OP
Yamamoto1659

Yamamoto1659

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I still have a lot to learn since ferts are new to me. I did a nitrate test yesterday and the levels seem to be around 10ppm. So will just do a small gravel cleaning and 10% water change for the week.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The way water changes become a stress schedule is if you do less. The main objective with water changes is to keep the tank water as close to the tap water as possible. When you do less water changes your water changes from it’s base source. This will than stress fish when you do add new water. I do 50% weekly on all my tanks. For you that’s 10g a week. Shouldn’t take more than a half hour. As to ferts and those plants. You don’t need much. How many anubias and ferns? What types of fish and shrimp? How many?

OP
Yamamoto1659

Yamamoto1659

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
The way water changes become a stress schedule is if you do less. The main objective with water changes is to keep the tank water as close to the tap water as possible. When you do less water changes your water changes from it’s base source. This will than stress fish when you do add new water. I do 50% weekly on all my tanks. For you that’s 10g a week. Shouldn’t take more than a half hour. As to ferts and those plants. You don’t need much. How many anubias and ferns? What types of fish and shrimp? How many?
I have 1 Anubis and a few ferns that I'm slowly growing out and replanting. I don't think I need much fertilizer, just a bit to speed things up. (I posted a pic)

As for fish, I'm a bit overstock and odd numbers of species, but I'm working on adjusting the numbers over the coming weeks.

4 x amano
5 x Harlequin Rasbora
6 x celestials
3 x Otto fish
4 x Cory's (1 Julie, 2 copper, and 1 sterba)

Attachments

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t think your overstocked. Those are all tiny fish. Nice selection :). Like the piece of wood. You could probably add a school of fork tail rainbow fish in there. What type of filter.

OP
Yamamoto1659

Yamamoto1659

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
I don’t think your overstocked. Those are all tiny fish. Nice selection :). Like the piece of wood. You could probably add a school of fork tail rainbow fish in there. What type of filter.
Thanks! I love the wood also, the shrimp have a fun time on that thing :)

I'm running a Fluval 107 cannister filter.

I was thinking about adding more, but was told on the forum that I'm overstock. I guess everyone has different opinions :D

I would love some fork tails :) :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes everybody jumps on the overstocking. But your fish are tiny and that filter is plenty. Thing I’d recommend is an intake sponge. How often do you change water and how much?

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
-Mak- said:
I would look into other causes. Regular Thrive only adds 6 ppm per dose, and ThriveC has half the nitrogen of regular
I’ve tested everything and it really is Thrive C. Without it nitrates go drastically down. I’ve calculated how many ppm of nitrates each dose added, I have it somewhere but can’t find it.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could be your thrive c is really thrive. I know thrive raises nitrates. It’s on the bottle to change 50% water weekly. May have put the wrong label on yours.

OP
Yamamoto1659

Yamamoto1659

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Yes everybody jumps on the overstocking. But your fish are tiny and that filter is plenty. Thing I’d recommend is an intake sponge. How often do you change water and how much?
Since i've only been in the hobby about a year and a bit, i'm still learning. But lately i've made a habit of doing my water changes every 7-10 days. In my 5 gallon shrimp tank, less often. In terms of %, i always tried to do 10%, but usually end up doing more (30%) because it takes me a bit longer to clean the gravel. Really depends which aquarium i'm cleaning (5g or 20g).

I am however always adding water to top off my tanks, this is a pretty frequent ritual of mine since i want to compensate for the evaporated water.

In my 5g, i have 2 loaches, 2 scarlet badis (male and female), 1 snail and 12 shrimp (mix of neo caridina/caridina shrimp). Its also well planted with a nice amount of moss.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 3 shrimp tanks going. One is a 5g. Shrimpers say not to change the water. So in the 5 I’m following that. Every 3 weeks or so I do a water change but mostly just add water. Plenty of shrimp in that tank! But yours with the loaches they will eat all your shrimplets. The bettas will eat the shrimp.
All fish eat shrimplets!! I’ve got a 15 with Pygmy Cory’s and there’s never any shrimplets.
What type of loaches? I think you should move them to the 20.

OP
Yamamoto1659

Yamamoto1659

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
I have 3 shrimp tanks going. One is a 5g. Shrimpers say not to change the water. So in the 5 I’m following that. Every 3 weeks or so I do a water change but mostly just add water. Plenty of shrimp in that tank! But yours with the loaches they will eat all your shrimplets. The bettas will eat the shrimp.
All fish eat shrimplets!! I’ve got a 15 with Pygmy Cory’s and there’s never any shrimplets.
What type of loaches? I think you should move them to the 20.
They're Kuhli Loaches, cute lil guys. I wanted to move them, but its such a pain to catch them in that tank with all the plants and moss. And they also end up whipping around the tank at lightning speed and hitting my shrimp. So i let them be.

It was actually my plan for the shrimplets to be food, but more so for the scarlet badis fish since they are hard to feed. I dilute frozen daphnia and feed them a bit every 2-3 days, but they dont really seem to care. Looks like they're hunting shrimp or snails a majority of the time.

If the loaches are eating them, then i might have to move em, that food should be meant for the SB's. Just not looking forward to catching em.

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Could be your thrive c is really thrive. I know thrive raises nitrates. It’s on the bottle to change 50% water weekly. May have put the wrong label on yours.
I don’t know if it’s possible but that would explain it !

New Threads