Three Tanks Affected, Swollen Head

trahana

I have three tanks afflicted with this mysterious disease. All betta fish so far, but I’m hoping my quarantine efforts have kept it from hopping to my community tank.
I haven’t purchased any plant or animal in four weeks prior to when I assume this disease started. I went on vacation for just one week, cleaning tanks the weekend before and after the trip.

This blue and red betta showed signs first, he lives in a small 2.5 g tank. He’s had the disease two weeks now, the pic is from the first day I noticed. He hasn’t progressed much, and haven’t treated his water with anything.

The red girl is in a sorority tank, I’ve put her in a breeder net for safe keeping and have dosed her tank with apI general cure. No ammonia and low nitrites, I’ve cleaned the tank three times in the past two weeks.
I’m using general cure since it fights parasites and it’s what I had on hand. Using a flashlight I saw a round, clear thing sticking to her side. It was larger then her scales but didn’t show up in the pictures.

My third tank is also using apI general cure. Prior to the general cure I dosed the tank with tetra fungus guard, as my oldest betta had some fuzzy stuff on her side. The fuzz cleared but shortly after my younger blue got the swollen face.

This is the older fish that had fuzz, the light spot is where it was. It looks odd to me still, she’s five years old and this is the first time she’s been sick.

I’m open to all suggestions, I’ve never had any disease jump tanks like this.

Also, I feed hikarI frozen bloodworms, omega one shrimp pellets and betta pellets.
I need to feed frozen food since one of my sorority is blind and can’t find food by herself.

Demeter

I’ve been having the same issue with my sorority and a few of my males. It’s awful and I don’t know exactly what it is either. I have a suspicion it may be something like gill flukes as it effects their gills and nose area but I’ve no means to diagnose it properly (microscope).

I’d try treating for parasites with fluke meds and maybe even an antibiotic combo. I’m trying to manage it by doing thorough tank maintenance and separating those effected, culling when it looks like they are suffering as well.

pagoda

Have you used anything like nets or water test equipment from one aquarium to another without washing & sterilising before going tween aquariums?

Something as simple as a net or water test tube can pass illness across....even your own hands going from aquarium to aquarium can pass contagious fish pathogens on occasions

Until you find the source of the issue, either get separate nets & equipment for each aquarium or boil anything used between uses

trahana

pagoda said:
Have you used anything like nets or water test equipment from one aquarium to another without washing & sterilising before going tween aquariums?

Something as simple as a net or water test tube can pass illness across....even your own hands going from aquarium to aquarium can pass contagious fish pathogens on occasions

Until you find the source of the issue, either get separate nets & equipment for each aquarium or boil anything used between uses
Right now I’m soaking my equipment in a furan 2 concentrate. My local fish guy has suggested to try furan 2 antibiotics if the fluke killer doesn’t work. He’s been in the hobby for a long time and he hasn’t seen anything like it. I wish I knew fish vet, if this is a new disease it should be diagnosed.

trahana

I’ve started my 2.5 tank on furan2, hopefully if it’s a bacteria this will kill it.

AvalancheDave

trahana said:
I’ve started my 2.5 tank on furan2, hopefully if it’s a bacteria this will kill it.
The nitrofurazones aren't absorbed from water so they really should only be used for external infections.

There are fish vets in CA depending on what part you live in.

angelcraze

Idk what it is, but it does look like the gills are inflamed and that's what makes the head look big. Do I see ich on one of them? Pic 3? Ich can hide in the gills and cause breathing issues.

I'm thinking some parasite though since it transferred to 3 tanks. Possibly bacteria, I just don't know if you'd see the exact same symptoms if it was bacterial. The white fuzz could have been fungus (a secondary infection). FyI True fungus is not bacterial and not contagious since it attacks damaged or dead skin tissue.

See if there's any improvement with the GC tank. It's PrazI and Metro. I would be using PrazI first it was me, but a vet diagnosis would by far be the most helpful and not waste time with guessing.

trahana

AvalancheDave said:
The nitrofurazones aren't absorbed from water so they really should only be used for external infections.

There are fish vets in CA depending on what part you live in.
That is interesting. Do you have a suggestion on a antibiotic that would work for internal infections?

angelcraze said:
Idk what it is, but it does look like the gills are inflamed and that's what makes the head look big. Do I see ich on one of them? Pic 3? Ich can hide in the gills and cause breathing issues.

I'm thinking some parasite though since it transferred to 3 tanks. Possibly bacteria, I just don't know if you'd see the exact same symptoms if it was bacterial. The white fuzz could have been fungus (a secondary infection). FyI True fungus is not bacterial and not contagious since it attacks damaged or dead skin tissue.

See if there's any improvement with the GC tank. It's PrazI and Metro. I would be using PrazI first it was me, but a vet diagnosis would by far be the most helpful and not waste time with guessing.
No Ich, I've been looking at them with flashlights, you probably see snail eggs on the glass. All of the four different species of snail leaves them on the glass.

My one tool that transferred it was the eye dropper. I use it to feed the frozen food, and I'm sure that is was made it travel. I'm hoping it is in only those three tanks. I have 7 tanks in all. The incubation period is about one week. It was one week from when I came home that the second fish came down, and a few days later the third betta.
The symptoms are raised scales on the snout and what I describe as swollen face mostly under the eyes and the flap covering the gills. it is almost like pigeon fever in horses, but on the face. Maybe there is a bacteria that is causing absences under the skin? But that would be on the body too wouldn't it. I'm think its bacteria, as I'm not seeing any flukes or external parasites. The general cure hasn't shown any change, and tomorrow morning will be the last day. I'll be changing the tank and starting them on furan-2 unless there is another antibiotic that works internally available quickly.

angelcraze

I unfortunately don't use antibiotics, so I don't have a suggestion for you, but if you go to a vet, pls share what they say. I'm so curious. I think now would be the best time to take them in, before it progresses too much.

Kanamycin works internally as it is absorbed thru the skin, but it's really overused in the hobby and Seachem Kanaplex is a weak dosage, but I would use Kanamycin over Furan2 if you can't get anything else and you need something that treats internally. Just some info for you, I'm not a vet at all.

trahana

I’ve ordered KanaPlex so I at least have it on hand. I haven’t used it before, so I’m not sure how overused it is.
Here’s photos and updates.

My boy, Delta, the first one effected in the 2.5g

My red girl, Mars, from the sorority. The disease is starting to effect her mouth, she had a hard time biting the pellets I offered today. I will be feeding one worms after this, so I can make sure she eats.

My blue has a swollen belly now, she might have overfed yesterday though, so I fasted her today. Wasn’t able to take a picture

trahana

I think only two tanks are effected. The blue doesn’t have the swollen face, and looking at the original photos I’m not sure if she ever had.
Mars(the red girl) has the worst symptoms, the swelling on her nose is ugly, but she is still curious and seems to be coping. She occasionally takes big gulps of air, so her gills might infected. She is yet to be lethargic, and still swims around in her little breeders net.

Delta, the blue and red male, is as lazy as ever so I’m not sure if anything has changed behavior wise. His symptoms hasn’t changed much.
Still looking for more ideas

angelcraze

I'm feeling so sad for your babies, I have no idea what that could be. I would be seriously thinking about going to the vet. Hopefully somebody that knows will come along soon. Did the kanaplex come in yet?

trahana

angelcraze said:
I'm feeling so sad for your babies, I have no idea what that could be. I would be seriously thinking about going to the vet. Hopefully somebody that knows will come along soon. Did the kanaplex come in yet?
Kanaplex came, yesterday, and the furan 2 treatment ends today so that was perfect timing.
There are no fish vets in my area that are in my budget. The closest one is $72 for just showing up, with a high chance of overnight care and more costs. Last time I took a bird there I left with a splint, stitches, antibiotics, painkillers and $350 bill. To add insult to injury they failed to notice the fracture in his toe which he broke two weeks later after the split came off(they thought is was muscle injury). They will see fish, but aren’t experts with fish.

angelcraze

Ahhhh I see :( I've never done the fish vets either, the only one is relatively close to me is at min 2hrs away, so I could imagine what the cost would be. I always read of folks in the US suggesting the vets, so thought it would be a better option to figure this out. Well, if it's anything internal (infection), Kanamycin is the antibiotic we fish ppl in the US have access to. Wishing you the best of the best luck!

Btw, you could use Kanamycin and Furan2 at the same time, but if you are finished the Furan2 already, it's not advised to repeat treatment with it. It was just you let you or anyone else reading know.

trahana

angelcraze said:
Ahhhh I see :( I've never done the fish vets either, the only one is relatively close to me is at min 2hrs away, so I could imagine what the cost would be. I always read of folks in the US suggesting the vets, so thought it would be a better option to figure this out. Well, if it's anything internal (infection), Kanamycin is the antibiotic we fish ppl in the US have access to. Wishing you the best of the best luck!

Btw, you could use Kanamycin and Furan2 at the same time, but if you are finished the Furan2 already, it's not advised to repeat treatment with it. It was just you let you or anyone else reading know.
I finished furan 2 and my plants hate it. It’s a bummer, but I also started dosing salt. So... I’ve chosen fish over plants.
I think it might be velvet. I’ve noticed a golden sparkle on my red girl, on her head and body. I’m not sure if she’s going to make it now, her gills are more rapid but she is still eating.
Do you know if I can add malachite green along with Kanaplex?

coralbandit

If you think velvet treat with copper .
Buy a copper test kit and cuprisorb [ seachem copper remover] if possible .
Follow directions on copper ..
If no copper is available then Rid Ich is next best to try ..
Rid ich is MG and formalin ..

trahana

coralbandit said:
If you think velvet treat with copper .
Buy a copper test kit and cuprisorb [ seachem copper remover] if possible .
Follow directions on copper ..
If no copper is available then Rid Ich is next best to try ..
Rid ich is MG and formalin ..
I don’t want to use copper at all, I have a good population of snails and a nerite that would die from it.
And again, is Mg safe to use with Kanaplex?

angelcraze

Idk the answer sorry because I don't use antibiotics. But if you think is velvet and don't want to use copper, I would dose Paraguard which is malachite green, a safer form of formalin (aldehydes) and protective polymers to promote skin slime healing.

Unless someone has the answer, I'd do a large water change before dosing Paraguard.

trahana

angelcraze said:
Idk the answer sorry because I don't use antibiotics. But if you think is velvet and don't want to use copper, I would dose Paraguard which is malachite green, a safer form of formalin (aldehydes) and protective polymers to promote skin slime healing.

Unless someone has the answer, I'd do a large water change before dosing Paraguard.
I found a medication that treats with malachite green, so I did 50% water change yesterday night and started it.
I have some results for the only salt treatment in my 2 gallon tank. The facial swelling in Delta, my male betta, has gone down quite a bit. I’m really glad he is looking better. I have been feeding the Kanaplex so that might have helped a bit too.
My red girl on the other has now has swim bladder issues. I’ve made a plastic sling in stead of a breeder net so she can reach the surface easily. Round Tupperware container cut to fit and then drilled for water flow.

angelcraze

trahana said:
I found a medication that treats with malachite green, so I did 50% water change yesterday night and started it.
I have some results for the only salt treatment in my 2 gallon tank. The facial swelling in Delta, my male betta, has gone down quite a bit. I’m really glad he is looking better. I have been feeding the Kanaplex so that might have helped a bit too.
My red girl on the other has now has swim bladder issues. I’ve made a plastic sling in stead of a breeder net so she can reach the surface easily. Round Tupperware container cut to fit and then drilled for water flow.
Glad to hear that about Delta :) Sounds like he's on the mend!
About your red girl, you are doing what you can, very thoughtful sling you have made. Are you dosing kanaplex for her too?

trahana

angelcraze said:
Glad to hear that about Delta :) Sounds like he's on the mend!
About your red girl, you are doing what you can, very thoughtful sling you have made. Are you dosing kanaplex for her too?
My red girl died last night. I think she was to far gone to save.
My blue girl also died, though her only symptoms where a swollen belly and swim bladder.
Two minnows in my community tank are sick one is dying with dropsy symptoms and the other is skinny and listing.

Considering furan2 didn’t work, I’m dosing Kanaplex by food, while dosing the three main tanks with ich meds(malachite green).
It’s highly possible the disease started in the community tank and I didn’t notice due to the plants. I have fewer minnows then I think I had. Not that I can properly count them.
I have my three shrimp in a bucket now, since the meds aren’t invertebrate friendly.

Delta is continuing to look better! The swelling under his eye is going down.

angelcraze

I'm so very sorry for your losses :( Still glad Delta is looking better though! Something is for sure off, I really hope it all balances out for you.

Sometimes meds only complicate the issue. Idk if you are done with meds, but if you are, clean fresh water is the best medicine. I say that so much I feel like a broken record, but it's one the most fundamental practices I follow.

trahana

angelcraze said:
I'm so very sorry for your losses :( Still glad Delta is looking better though! Something is for sure off, I really hope it all balances out for you.

Sometimes meds only complicate the issue. Idk if you are done with meds, but if you are, clean fresh water is the best medicine. I say that so much I feel like a broken record, but it's one the most fundamental practices I follow.
Thank you.
Unfortunately I don’t think clean water will help in this case, I feel it’s a parasite I can’t see causing reactions in the fish. The salt treatment is having a good effect but until his face is all better I’m going to hold my breath.

angelcraze

trahana said:
Thank you.
Unfortunately I don’t think clean water will help in this case, I feel it’s a parasite I can’t see causing reactions in the fish. The salt treatment is having a good effect but until his face is all better I’m going to hold my breath.
Ok, hope he pulls through.

Truckjohn

Keep us updated on your progress and what works.

I have 4 bettas in my quarantine tank with the *SAME* problem going on (started a post over on the disease board.) Tried Tetra Lifeguard for 6-days with zero results.

The main tank just got pimafix and melafix to (hopefully) minimize it in there.

I actually took a couple of the sick bettas out and laid them on wet paper towel to see if I could get a closer look under a magnifying glass. I found the raggedy head and funny looking bumps were open sores which were bleeding. I did not find any external parasites which were visible under 12x magnification. I also found localized scale loss and loose scales.

I am now on day 2 of Aquarium salt + API Fin and Body Cure to see if that helps.

trahana

Truckjohn said:
Keep us updated on your progress and what works.

I have 4 bettas in my quarantine tank with the *SAME* problem going on (started a post over on the disease board.) Tried Tetra Lifeguard for 6-days with zero results.

The main tank just got pimafix and melafix to (hopefully) minimize it in there.

I actually took a couple of the sick bettas out and laid them on wet paper towel to see if I could get a closer look under a magnifying glass. I found the raggedy head and funny looking bumps were open sores which were bleeding. I did not find any external parasites which were visible under 12x magnification. I also found localized scale loss and loose scales.

I am now on day 2 of Aquarium salt + API Fin and Body Cure to see if that helps.
Delta my Male Betta may have 1 open sore, it’s hard to tell since I don’t have a microscope. His face swelling looks like it has all his scales, and is well defined with out and fuzzy edges.
All of my sick fish except delta have died.
The hard thing about diagnosis is that all my fish has had somewhat different symptoms.

TruckJohn, have you looked up Tuberculosis in fish? Right now I’m know if delta dies I will get a necropsy done on him. It cost only $52, and they will test for TB. If you have many fish sick you might want a necropsy just in case.
Salt treatment seems to have stabilized my fish, but progress is slow. I do suggest KanaPlex if they are bleeding sores, that could be an internal infection. All my infected tanks are getting Kanaplex in their food now. I stopped the malachite green treatment because my minnows where looking stressed, their gills were so flushed I could see them through their semI transparent bodies. Everyone gets salt treatment instead.

For the salt I’m using the same treatment as suggested in the culmanarius pinned thread. 1 tsp per gallon added three times for a total of 3 teaspoons per gallon.

Truckjohn

Lets hope it's not TB.... Fingers crossed.

Truckjohn

Any updates on your progress? Mine is not going well except that the fish with the weird sores are still alive.

trahana

Truckjohn said:
Any updates on your progress? Mine is not going well except that the fish with the weird sores are still alive.
I went to a conference and was away for three days. When I came back the kuhlI loaches where hiding, and when I found one it was light, I decided it was an obvious sign of stress. Since they are a scaleless fish I removed 50% water and didn't add salt back in. I think the amount of salt a KuhlI loach can handle is lower then what people often say. I had about 1 tsp per gallon, and they showed obvious signs of stress at ... 5 days? possibly sooner since I wasn't home.
Thankfully no fish besides Delta is under the weather with our mysterious disease.
Delta's face has an obviously an open sore now. I can see some red spots on his otherwise blue-silver face. I don't think the salt has done much except but keep him alive. There has been no improvement.
It doesn't look good, since TB often has legions/open sores. It is possible to survive TB, but since it can be transmitted to humans people often opt to euthanize. I'm not sure what I will do if it turns out to be TB.

I'm going to start dosing the 40 gallon with melafix/pimafix since I've tested that on my fish with no adverse effects before. The Hillstream loaches haven't been tried on it, but the kuhlI are fine with it, and it will probably help them recover.

Truckjohn

The disappointing part for me is that the two fish with the sores are still hanging in there while all the others with various maladies basically died. Sort of the opposite of what I was expecting to happen.

trahana

Truckjohn said:
The disappointing part for me is that the two fish with the sores are still hanging in there while all the others with various maladies basically died. Sort of the opposite of what I was expecting to happen.
I know, I had one with no obvious issues, just a swollen belly and then suddenly she died two days later. then the two minnows died just two days after I noticed their issues. And yet, Delta, the first one to show signs is still hanging in there.
Well, on the plus side my water is pristine. I keep testing and the nitrates are below 10ppm now. No nitrites or ammonia, which is something I need to keep checking since medications can cause an established tank to cycle over again.

trahana

A photo update.

Delta is still food motivated. No obvious changes, he is as active as normal.

Behavior changes in Shimmer, my oldest betta, she is in the divided tank that had my blue female that died. Shimmer is acting unwell, she has a harder time finding food and taking big gulps of air before sitting on the gravel floor. The sitting part doesn’t worry me much, but usually she sits on a leaf or stem plant. I think her eyes might be effected. Might just be old age, which is what I’m hoping: Shimmer is older then 4 years.

trahana

I have a white cheeked goby in my community tank that is dashing itself on the gravel to itch. I will try using apI general cure as a half dose. I hear kuhlI loaches are tolerant of praziquantel in half dose.

TruckJohn has bettas with similar symptoms to delta that might have hole in the head, so tomorrow I will be attempting to find a medicine for hole in the head that can be used to dose a 2 gallon tank.
No other changes: Delta is still food driven and active.

Quarantine is necessary, I will never add another snail, fish, or plant without it.

Demeter

One of my favorite females has just recently started getting the swollen cheek like your boy's. The I have a pair of siblings male and female from last year's spawn that are also effected but both are going strong. They don't have the puffy cheek/gills but instead their mouth was effected. Both have are living in separate tanks with only bottom feeders for company and both behave like happy begging bettas.

Almost wonder if it may be viral. New diseases are bound to show up from time to time what with importing from all over the world. Someone would have to do lab tests to really figure out what the problem is.

angelcraze

I don't think it's HITH though. It's brought on by poor water quality and/or poor nutrition. Or it's caused by a parasite Spironucleus (Hexamita) which usually puts cichlids at risk, not usually a betta thing. I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

Sorry to hear about Shimmer. This is a very contagious problem. So frustrating that nothing is working :( Would love to get to get to the bottom of it.

Just to let you know, Epsom Salts in the feed can be a treatment for Hexamita. Also Metro in the feed. Dosing the water with Metro is difficult because it has a short shelf life and doesn't dissolve well. Much more effective to lace the food, especially if the fish are still eating. Improving water quality (not an issue here from what I can tell) and adding vitamins are other treatments for HITH.

Were the bettas ever together or in the same tank or in the community tank? Also how are the plants handling the salt?

trahana

angelcraze said:
I don't think it's HITH though. It's brought on by poor water quality and/or poor nutrition. Or it's caused by a parasite Spironucleus (Hexamita) which usually puts cichlids at risk, not usually a betta thing. I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

Sorry to hear about Shimmer. This is a very contagious problem. So frustrating that nothing is working :( Would love to get to get to the bottom of it.

Just to let you know, Epsom Salts in the feed can be a treatment for Hexamita. Also Metro in the feed. Dosing the water with Metro is difficult because it has a short shelf life and doesn't dissolve well. Much more effective to lace the food, especially if the fish are still eating. Improving water quality (not an issue here from what I can tell) and adding vitamins are other treatments for HITH.

Were the bettas ever together or in the same tank or in the community tank? Also how are the plants handling the salt?
From my understanding hole in the head isn't species restrictive though. It might be diet related, I've been feeding mostly thawed blood worms. I though bloodworms had enough nutrients, but that isn't much variety, so its possibly my betta is missing something in his diet. Lately I've been feeding him crushed bottom feeder pellets dosed with Kanaplex. I'll order Metroplex today, and hopefully something good happens.
As it is, he could have fish TB, which means nothing good. so I'm grasping at straws to save his life.

The bettas shared a plastic dropper to feed them the bloodworms. I've stopped using it, and have started feeding with my fingers. Good thing the bettas are already used to my hands being in the tank.

High levels of salt are only recommended for 2 weeks so I've started changing the water to reduce the salt. So far the plants hate it, but most of them will survive. Extra Dose of fertilizers for them.

I think shimmer is fine. She must have not liked the bubbler I added to her tank. I turned down the air and she's acting more normal now. Its not that she's fragile, its that I treat her like she's fragile.

angelcraze

Yea I didn't mean to imply it's species specific, just not normally a betta thing. I'm not thinking it was brought on by poor water quality of nutrition since more than one fish got it and with a high mortality rate. It could be caused by a parasite, in that case, the metro and Epsom Salts in food is the best treatment. Metro is also a gram negative antibiotic and treats against some gram positive bacteria as well..

I'm hoping so much you see improvement or at least figure it out since it might be bothering other fish too.

Truckjohn

So somewhere in my medication rodeo - I managed to cure the sores.,..

But I found *another* fish in the main tank with face sores. Time to punt.

So now I am treating the main tank with API General Cure + Erythromycin as that is where I saw the major improvement. Hopefully it doesn't kill everything else in the tank.

Truckjohn

So indian almond leaf was first then lemon balm second in their study?

I have seen a lot of people recommend the use of indian almond leaves when keeping bettas.... Unfortunately - these are fairly expensive if you can't grow them.

Have you had any success with this?

angelcraze

trahana said:
After looking into it I don’t think it’s likely since there is no sign of hemorrhaging. I did find an interesting science doc on the disease and the use of catappa as and antibiotic
Oh I think John's bettas were hemorrhaging. I agree, I also use capatta leaves all the time and particularly when I see a problem. They certainly won't hurt anyway! Still hoping for your fishies!

Truckjohn I use capatta leaves for finrot or anything external, my fish heal well. I also do daily water changes and sometimes use StressCoat to help replenish slime coat.

Truckjohn

It's all sorts of weird problems which are probably all related to oneanother.

For example - a day after I started API General Cure + EM - the betta that currently has face sores pooped out a bunch of white stringy stuff... This leads me to believe that the face sores are a secondary problem which is related to the parasitic infestation....

I am starting to think that we probably ought to be dosing an antibiotic at the same time as an anti-parasitic... Those things leave a lot of wounds when they die/release/come out... That's an opportunity for a secondary infection which then kicks off Dropsy or something else bad....

angelcraze

So hard to diagnose at home. Stingy white poop doesn't always mean internal parasite. Could be the fish just isn't feeling well, a result of using some meds, constipation.....

The best thing to do to prevent secondary infections is to keep water quality pristine. It can be difficult when using meds like antibiotics since they work on nitrifying bacteria as well, but I would be doing water changes as I need to and testing daily to keep the quality up.
PS I don't use antibiotics at all.

Truckjohn

I did not ever use antibiotics prior to this either but nothing was working and fish kept dying.

angelcraze

Truckjohn said:
I did not ever use antibiotics prior to this either but nothing was working and fish kept dying.
That's fine John, I just don't know that much about using them besides what I can read about.

Demeter

To add a little more, here's some pics of my own bettas who have the same issue. It seems to only effects the head and gills. Gills appear thickened then it looks as if they start eroding. The head starts getting small sores, the scales pinecone around them and bleed easily. A couple ended up with dropsy at the later stages. I've been euthanizing those that get the sores and dropsy as I can't stand to watch them suffer, they mope around and seem in agony.

This girl has had it the longest, she's in her own tote with cherry shrimp and snails. Her mouth has been eroded and her gills are puffy. I haven't noticed any progression in her case, she acts totally normal.

Thickened left gill in this young betta

This big girl's left cheek is protruding. I just fed them so they all look fat.

I'm on my second dose of General Cure and so far nothing seems to of changed. I'll be adding IAL after treatment ends and I do a water change. I've previously tried a few salt baths, Methylene blue, Tetra parasite and life guard, prazipro and kanaplex on previous bettas. I think I need to be more thorough with water changes, wiping down the glass and doing better gravel vacs. I should mention the other non-betta tank mates have no issues.

angelcraze

You know, I have a GBR that suddenly looks like she had puffy gills, more so on one side. Nothing else though that I can see....
I'll have a closer look at her mouth. If this is the same thing, I have not added anything new in 1.5 years. Maybe a couple plants....

I was thinking it was bacterial in my case since I went a little too long before cleaning the filter (I think). All I've done so far was keep everything clean with siphoning and water changes. She is doing ok despite the enlarged gills, but would love to know for sure what's going on. I didn't put it together until now.

trahana

You might try metroplex by food. General cure adds metro, but I hear it’s better to be taken internally. I think what I am dealing with is an internal parasite, but you might have Gill mites or some sort of anchor worm. It sounds like it’s eating the gills.
I think there is a secondary infection which often kills the fish. With delta he is strong and healthy and hasn’t had an infection in his life, which I think is why he’s still fighting.

My sorority is divided now, I think my red betta was the weakest since sororities tend to be stressful even if there is no noticeable injuries from fighting. This was inevitable to me, since one of my four sorority girls was blind, I knew I would divid it if one died. I am surprised it lasted two years with a blind fish, since bettas are like aquatic wolves and prey on the weak.

My metroplex came today, I’ll start feeding it in a bit.

trahana

angelcraze said:
You know, I have a GBR that suddenly looks like she had puffy gills, more so on one side. Nothing else though that I can see....
I'll have a closer look at her mouth. If this is the same thing, I have not added anything new in 1.5 years. Maybe a couple plants....

I was thinking it was bacterial in my case since I went a little too long before cleaning the filter (I think). All I've done so far was keep everything clean with siphoning and water changes. She is doing ok despite the enlarged gills, but would love to know for sure what's going on. I didn't put it together until now.
Where did you get your plants?
I too added plants a month before this disease out break.
Before that, the last fish I added was four months ago.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom