Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
4a331b7ec1caa4825617dc612e286fd9.jpg
4ce151e8eb9686079e35123de8b9d5b7.jpg
7b37c0d8f23795fdde97877b9cadfdfe.jpg
01678adf0fc0560aad9c2a0553c41413.jpg

I have three tanks afflicted with this mysterious disease. All betta fish so far, but I’m hoping my quarantine efforts have kept it from hopping to my community tank.
I haven’t purchased any plant or animal in four weeks prior to when I assume this disease started. I went on vacation for just one week, cleaning tanks the weekend before and after the trip.
840df3b60f3842b2a451bd923d3fd81a.jpg

This blue and red betta showed signs first, he lives in a small 2.5 g tank. He’s had the disease two weeks now, the pic is from the first day I noticed. He hasn’t progressed much, and haven’t treated his water with anything.

The red girl is in a sorority tank, I’ve put her in a breeder net for safe keeping and have dosed her tank with api general cure. No ammonia and low nitrites, I’ve cleaned the tank three times in the past two weeks.
I’m using general cure since it fights parasites and it’s what I had on hand. Using a flashlight I saw a round, clear thing sticking to her side. It was larger then her scales but didn’t show up in the pictures.

My third tank is also using api general cure. Prior to the general cure I dosed the tank with tetra fungus guard, as my oldest betta had some fuzzy stuff on her side. The fuzz cleared but shortly after my younger blue got the swollen face.
47eb6b93da8f32b521e9c0b7d79eb6b0.jpg

This is the older fish that had fuzz, the light spot is where it was. It looks odd to me still, she’s five years old and this is the first time she’s been sick.

I’m open to all suggestions, I’ve never had any disease jump tanks like this.

Also, I feed hikari frozen bloodworms, omega one shrimp pellets and betta pellets.
I need to feed frozen food since one of my sorority is blind and can’t find food by herself.

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ve been having the same issue with my sorority and a few of my males. It’s awful and I don’t know exactly what it is either. I have a suspicion it may be something like gill flukes as it effects their gills and nose area but I’ve no means to diagnose it properly (microscope).

I’d try treating for parasites with fluke meds and maybe even an antibiotic combo. I’m trying to manage it by doing thorough tank maintenance and separating those effected, culling when it looks like they are suffering as well.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you used anything like nets or water test equipment from one aquarium to another without washing & sterilising before going tween aquariums?

Something as simple as a net or water test tube can pass illness across....even your own hands going from aquarium to aquarium can pass contagious fish pathogens on occasions

Until you find the source of the issue, either get seperate nets & equipment for each aquarium or boil anything used between uses

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pagoda said:
Have you used anything like nets or water test equipment from one aquarium to another without washing & sterilising before going tween aquariums?

Something as simple as a net or water test tube can pass illness across....even your own hands going from aquarium to aquarium can pass contagious fish pathogens on occasions

Until you find the source of the issue, either get seperate nets & equipment for each aquarium or boil anything used between uses
Right now I’m soaking my equipment in a furan 2 concentrate. My local fish guy has suggested to try furan 2 antibiotics if the fluke killer doesn’t work. He’s been in the hobby for a long time and he hasn’t seen anything like it. I wish I knew fish vet, if this is a new disease it should be diagnosed.

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve started my 2.5 tank on furan2, hopefully if it’s a bacteria this will kill it.

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
trahana said:
I’ve started my 2.5 tank on furan2, hopefully if it’s a bacteria this will kill it.
The nitrofurazones aren't absorbed from water so they really should only be used for external infections.

There are fish vets in CA depending on what part you live in.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Idk what it is, but it does look like the gills are inflamed and that's what makes the head look big. Do I see ich on one of them? Pic 3? Ich can hide in the gills and cause breathing issues.

I'm thinking some parasite though since it transferred to 3 tanks. Possibly bacteria, I just don't know if you'd see the exact same symptoms if it was bacterial. The white fuzz could have been fungus (a secondary infection). Fyi True fungus is not bacterial and not contagious since it attacks damaged or dead skin tissue.

See if there's any improvement with the GC tank. It's Prazi and Metro. I would be using Prazi first it was me, but a vet diagnosis would by far be the most helpful and not waste time with guessing.

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AvalancheDave said:
The nitrofurazones aren't absorbed from water so they really should only be used for external infections.

There are fish vets in CA depending on what part you live in.
That is interesting. Do you have a suggestion on a antibiotic that would work for internal infections?

angelcraze said:
Idk what it is, but it does look like the gills are inflamed and that's what makes the head look big. Do I see ich on one of them? Pic 3? Ich can hide in the gills and cause breathing issues.

I'm thinking some parasite though since it transferred to 3 tanks. Possibly bacteria, I just don't know if you'd see the exact same symptoms if it was bacterial. The white fuzz could have been fungus (a secondary infection). Fyi True fungus is not bacterial and not contagious since it attacks damaged or dead skin tissue.

See if there's any improvement with the GC tank. It's Prazi and Metro. I would be using Prazi first it was me, but a vet diagnosis would by far be the most helpful and not waste time with guessing.
No Ich, I've been looking at them with flashlights, you probably see snail eggs on the glass. All of the four different species of snail leaves them on the glass.

My one tool that transferred it was the eye dropper. I use it to feed the frozen food, and I'm sure that is was made it travel. I'm hoping it is in only those three tanks. I have 7 tanks in all. The incubation period is about one week. It was one week from when I came home that the second fish came down, and a few days later the third betta.
The symptoms are raised scales on the snout and what I describe as swollen face mostly under the eyes and the flap covering the gills. it is almost like pigeon fever in horses, but on the face. Maybe there is a bacteria that is causing absences under the skin? But that would be on the body too wouldn't it. I'm think its bacteria, as I'm not seeing any flukes or external parasites. The general cure hasn't shown any change, and tomorrow morning will be the last day. I'll be changing the tank and starting them on furan-2 unless there is another antibiotic that works internally available quickly.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I unfortunately don't use antibiotics, so I don't have a suggestion for you, but if you go to a vet, pls share what they say. I'm so curious. I think now would be the best time to take them in, before it progresses too much.

Kanamycin works internally as it is absorbed thru the skin, but it's really overused in the hobby and Seachem Kanaplex is a weak dosage, but I would use Kanamycin over Furan2 if you can't get anything else and you need something that treats internally. Just some info for you, I'm not a vet at all.

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve ordered KanaPlex so I at least have it on hand. I haven’t used it before, so I’m not sure how overused it is.
Here’s photos and updates.
0fed3b7980954676683756e7a54b60ab.jpg

My boy, Delta, the first one effected in the 2.5g
6140a27eaff2f7d1601bb2457bc647e4.jpg

My red girl, Mars, from the sorority. The disease is starting to effect her mouth, she had a hard time biting the pellets I offered today. I will be feeding one worms after this, so I can make sure she eats.

My blue has a swollen belly now, she might have overfed yesterday though, so I fasted her today. Wasn’t able to take a picture

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think only two tanks are effected. The blue doesn’t have the swollen face, and looking at the original photos I’m not sure if she ever had.
Mars(the red girl) has the worst symptoms, the swelling on her nose is ugly, but she is still curious and seems to be coping. She occasionally takes big gulps of air, so her gills might infected. She is yet to be lethargic, and still swims around in her little breeders net.

Delta, the blue and red male, is as lazy as ever so I’m not sure if anything has changed behavior wise. His symptoms hasn’t changed much.
Still looking for more ideas

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm feeling so sad for your babies, I have no idea what that could be. I would be seriously thinking about going to the vet. Hopefully somebody that knows will come along soon. Did the kanaplex come in yet?

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
I'm feeling so sad for your babies, I have no idea what that could be. I would be seriously thinking about going to the vet. Hopefully somebody that knows will come along soon. Did the kanaplex come in yet?
Kanaplex came, yesterday, and the furan 2 treatment ends today so that was perfect timing.
There are no fish vets in my area that are in my budget. The closest one is $72 for just showing up, with a high chance of overnight care and more costs. Last time I took a bird there I left with a splint, stitches, antibiotics, painkillers and $350 bill. To add insult to injury they failed to notice the fracture in his toe which he broke two weeks later after the split came off(they thought is was muscle injury). They will see fish, but aren’t experts with fish.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ahhhh I see :( I've never done the fish vets either, the only one is relatively close to me is at min 2hrs away, so I could imagine what the cost would be. I always read of folks in the US suggesting the vets, so thought it would be a better option to figure this out. Well, if it's anything internal (infection), Kanamycin is the antibiotic we fish ppl in the US have access to. Wishing you the best of the best luck!

Btw, you could use Kanamycin and Furan2 at the same time, but if you are finished the Furan2 already, it's not advised to repeat treatment with it. It was just you let you or anyone else reading know.

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
Ahhhh I see :( I've never done the fish vets either, the only one is relatively close to me is at min 2hrs away, so I could imagine what the cost would be. I always read of folks in the US suggesting the vets, so thought it would be a better option to figure this out. Well, if it's anything internal (infection), Kanamycin is the antibiotic we fish ppl in the US have access to. Wishing you the best of the best luck!

Btw, you could use Kanamycin and Furan2 at the same time, but if you are finished the Furan2 already, it's not advised to repeat treatment with it. It was just you let you or anyone else reading know.
I finished furan 2 and my plants hate it. It’s a bummer, but I also started dosing salt. So... I’ve chosen fish over plants.
I think it might be velvet. I’ve noticed a golden sparkle on my red girl, on her head and body. I’m not sure if she’s going to make it now, her gills are more rapid but she is still eating.
Do you know if I can add malachite green along with Kanaplex?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you think velvet treat with copper .
Buy a copper test kit and cuprisorb [ seachem copper remover] if possible .
Follow directions on copper ..
If no copper is available then Rid Ich is next best to try ..
Rid ich is MG and formalin ..

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
If you think velvet treat with copper .
Buy a copper test kit and cuprisorb [ seachem copper remover] if possible .
Follow directions on copper ..
If no copper is available then Rid Ich is next best to try ..
Rid ich is MG and formalin ..
I don’t want to use copper at all, I have a good population of snails and a nerite that would die from it.
And again, is Mg safe to use with Kanaplex?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Idk the answer sorry because I don't use antibiotics. But if you think is velvet and don't want to use copper, I would dose Paraguard which is malachite green, a safer form of formalin (aldehydes) and protective polymers to promote skin slime healing.

Unless someone has the answer, I'd do a large water change before dosing Paraguard.

trahana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
Idk the answer sorry because I don't use antibiotics. But if you think is velvet and don't want to use copper, I would dose Paraguard which is malachite green, a safer form of formalin (aldehydes) and protective polymers to promote skin slime healing.

Unless someone has the answer, I'd do a large water change before dosing Paraguard.
I found a medication that treats with malachite green, so I did 50% water change yesterday night and started it.
I have some results for the only salt treatment in my 2g tank. The facial swelling in Delta, my male betta, has gone down quite a bit. I’m really glad he is looking better. I have been feeding the Kanaplex so that might have helped a bit too.
My red girl on the other has now has swim bladder issues. I’ve made a plastic sling in stead of a breeder net so she can reach the surface easily. Round Tupperware container cut to fit and then drilled for water flow.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
trahana said:
I found a medication that treats with malachite green, so I did 50% water change yesterday night and started it.
I have some results for the only salt treatment in my 2g tank. The facial swelling in Delta, my male betta, has gone down quite a bit. I’m really glad he is looking better. I have been feeding the Kanaplex so that might have helped a bit too.
My red girl on the other has now has swim bladder issues. I’ve made a plastic sling in stead of a breeder net so she can reach the surface easily. Round Tupperware container cut to fit and then drilled for water flow.
Glad to hear that about Delta :) Sounds like he's on the mend!
About your red girl, you are doing what you can, very thoughtful sling you have made. Are you dosing kanaplex for her too?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom