Three sudden deaths female bettas

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Five days ago, I added two female bettas to my 75g. There were three existing female bettas. In less than the past 24 hours, I've lost two of the existing females and one of the new ones. I'm giving up on female bettas.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dont give up on female Bettas, just give up on the idea of a sorority. Ive been keeping Bettas for over 30 years and I have NEVER had any luck longer than 6-8 months when keeping them together regardless of tank size, how planted it was, etc. I think the sorority success stories you hear are either outright lies, theyve only had the tank running a couple months or its the 1 in a billion chance it worked out for whatever reason. That said, Ive never met someone who had a tank with multiple Bettas for an extended period of time.

FishGirly

Reaction score
I feel like female bettas are much more aggressive than the male bettas. I don’t think sororities work out most of the times.

also I noticed that the male bettas are very easy to keep in community tanks. However when I have tried female bettas, its a 50/50 chance it’s going to work for me. Just a couple of weeks I had to re home a female betta I had ( she was killing all my community fish ). I thought they fish had some unknown disease since they kept dying off suddenly, until one day I saw her aggressively attack a couple of fishes. She wasn’t doing it when I would watch, but that day I caught her from far away. I re homed her, and haven’t had any more fish death in that tank.it was awful really since she was a beautiful betta.

OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I agree with PascalKrypt in that it has something to do with how bettas are physically raised.

New Threads