Three Problematic Fish

1. B

BlackOsprey Member Member

I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon tank. I have 3 fish causing some issues: a betta, a fancy male guppy, and a pea puffer. The pea puffer presently lives in the 20 gallon and the other two share the 10.

Now, the guppy has outlived the other guppies I bought with him. He's fairly old, but that doesn't stop him from being a massive jerk. The reason why he's living in the 10 was not only for his own safety (I think the pea puffer was nipping him) but because he was harassing other fish.

However, I now am keeping my betta in the 10 gallon (gave the betta tank to a friend's sick fish that seriously needed an upgrade) and the guppy seems to have bitten his tail.

I'm considering moving the betta and the guppy into the 20 gallon and moving the puffer into the 10, but I'm not sure if the added space would help that stupid guppy's temper, nor am I sure if my betta will be okay with the added space and other tank mates (a small school of neon and glowlight tetras).

Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

2. Harvster10

Harvster10 Member Member

Guppies and betas look quite similar. I’ve had this problem before. Is there anything else in the tank, because in theory the betta should just fight back.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Nothing else is in the 10 gallon aside from a few MTSs, 2 khulis, and a ghost shrimp.
    I don't ever catch either fish actively antagonizing eachother but I know the guppy has a history of shenanigans and that bite in the betta's tail had to come from somewhere.

4. Harvster10

Harvster10 Member Member

Have you considered that he may have snagged it on an ornament or something. I would wait until you see more before moving something around.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Hmm I didn't really consider it since the only decorations in there are 2 small pvc pipes and a cave decoration, and he tends to stay at the top of the tank. I suppose I'll wait and see anyways.

6. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

I think you plan to move the fish around is a good one. The pea puffer would be fine in a 10g and gving the betta and guppy more space may help with any aggression.